Newbie question about blu ray ripper minimum requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question about blu ray ripper minimum requirements

I want to get the dvdfab blu ray ripper and back up all my blu rays onto an external hard drive or hub but I want to make sure the dvdfab software and blu ray drive will work with my 5 yr old laptop computer (ya i know it's old but still going strong). I plan on buying an lg external blu ray burner and connecting it to my laptop. I know i meet the minimum requirements but not the recommended. I dont want to spend the money on a blu ray burner and dvdfab software only to find out my specs are too old.

My questions are

1) Will it work with my specs?
    2) Will my specs affect the quality of the rips (no nvidia gpu)?

I have a 5yr old dell e1505 inspiron with the following specs

windows xp media edition sp3
    Intel t2300 @1.666 ghz
    2gb ram
    Mobile Intel 945gm express family chipset
    250 gb hard drive

Thanks
    Last edited by Metacognition; 04-18-2011, 07:48 AM.

Don't bother. It''ll work but it'll take forever.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

What is forever?

30 minutes, 30 hours, 30 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Metacognition View Post
        What is forever?

30 minutes, 30 hours, 30 days?
        Forever = longer than you wanna wait.
        Additionally, you're looking at a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on your BD drive.

A couple points...
        1) You don't need to buy the software as it comes with a 30-day, free trial, no strings attached.
        2) You don't need a BD burner, only a BD-ROM so you can save some $ here as well.
        Plus the external drive is shiny and new so it's got a future;
        unlike your lappie...

Who knows how long it will take? I've seen some users report times in excess of 24 hours with outdated hardware.

Comment

A realistic expectation would be a couple of hours to copy a Blu-ray to a BDMV folder on the hard drive with no compression, much longer to convert the Blu-ray to MP4, M4V, MKV or other MPEG-4 formats, much longer being 7-8 hours, longer in some cases. Compressing a 50GB Blu-ray to fit on a BD25 blank would take even longer. BDs just contain lots of data, sorry. You can try it if you like, but I don't think you will be happy with the results. Do not even try it without more RAM.

As my old friend maineman often says, don't shoot the messenger (and don't blame DVDFab).
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

awww man that sucks because my laptop still runs great and serves me well for burning dvds. Also It has been been with me so long I will have a hard time letting it go

But at this point I might just consider buying a new laptop with a blu ray reader in it because I plan on ripping alot of blu rays and the lg drive I want is like $200 anyway.

Comment

Why not just pick up the ext LG then?
              It'll out perform the internal slimline plus it won't be subjected to the same unwanted heat as the internal?

This way, you can try out your old lappie and if it doesn't work out, you're not out anything, but a little of your own time

Comment

Thats a good idea. I'm gonna try my laptop first then if that doesn't work i will try my girlfriends. She got hers lat year but it's an entry level model.

If that still doesn't work it's on to plan c

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  A realistic expectation would be a couple of hours to copy a Blu-ray to a BDMV folder on the hard drive with no compression,
                  When fab is not compressing it should be able to do in one hour. Depending on blu-ray read speed and harddrive transfer rate. I used 6x Lg BD writer and it take roughly around 45 min to dump disc on harddrive without compressing. Many new dirive can go higher.
                  If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

I was talking about the users current laptop specs.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I was talking about laptop as well. But with external drive with at least 6x reading speed.
                      OP might need to create ram buffer as well.
                      If you fail to plan...you plan to fail wouldn't you not agree..Think about it

Comment

Working...
                      X