IPhone vs Ipad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPhone vs Ipad

We'll they gave us all IPads at work and I thought I'd load some video media but no luck so far. I have a portable drive which I've ripped a bunch of movie and TV shows onto via the DVD Ripper / Ipod/IPhone application. Normally I sync these up with my iPhone via iTunes and it works great.

When I loaded some tv shows onto the iPad, they show up in a "Videos" folder on the iPad instead of in the iPod folder like on the iPhone...

When I try to play them, the resolution looks bad and there is no audio...

Do I need to convert these files to a specific iPad format? It seems as though already being converted to an Mpeg 4 they should work in the iPad? Anyway, do I need to purchase the Video Converter portion of DVD Fab to convert the files from iPhone to iPad? If I do this can I use the same portable drive as the source and the destination?

In the future would I need to rip the DVDs twice - once for the iPhone and once for the iPad?

thanks much

Jack
    Last edited by akparajack; 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM.

You do not need Video Converter. Not sure what you are seeing there. iTunes should reject the files if they won't play on the device. Try the iPhone4 profiles, they should play on the iPad I think. You should also download MediaInfo and let it look at the files that work and those that don't to see what the difference is. Since they are TV episodes, it may be a problem with the deinterlace/framerate settings.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Movies made for the iPhone are probably too small to be strecthed big enough for the iPad, at least that's what I ran into trying to use 480x272 movies I made for the iPod Touch on the iPad.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
        Movies made for the iPhone are probably too small to be strecthed big enough for the iPad, at least that's what I ran into trying to use 480x272 movies I made for the iPod Touch on the iPad.

So what's the solution? I have all this media that was ripped via DVD Fab for the iPhone and stored on a portable drive.... How can I get all those files converted so that they will play on the iPad?

Thanks,

Jack

Comment

@akparajak
          I hate to tell you that, but newer gadgets (including newer iPhone 4) are all in a HD territory, and dinosaurs like us are all being ditched by upcoming train of new technology.
          Sad news, but you have to re-code all your content to fit the HD-hungry beast.
          You can re-code your files on external HDD - increase resolution and bitrate.
          It would be nice to see MediaInfo report on one of your stored files... can you do it?
          Last edited by IPopov50; 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

akparajak
            Please re-read my post, the iPhone4 profiles are the ones I was referring to. The output resolution in these profiles can be up to 1920x1080p in Blu-ray Ripper, 960X400 or so for DVDs. Plenty large even for TV playback. With no fine-pitch Retina display in the iPads, I don't think you reallly need to use anything larger than 720Xxxx for playback on the device itself. Do as Ipopov suggested and look at the files with MediaInfo and see what you've got.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

thanks for the help.

Here is a file breakdown from one of my hard drive DVD FAB ripped media files:

What would be the easiest way to go about converting my files so that they will play on the iPad?

General
              Complete name : H:\iTunes Music\Movies\ipod\ipod\ipod\24_SEASON_8_DISC_1\24_ SEASON_8_DISC_1.Title1.mp4
              Format : MPEG-4
              Codec ID : M4V
              File size : 563 MiB
              Duration : 42mn 42s
              Overall bit rate : 1 843 Kbps
              Movie name : 24_SEASON_8_DISC_1.Title1.DVDRip
              Album : 24_SEASON_8_DISC_1
              Writing application : Lavf52.78.4

Video
              ID : 1
              Format : MPEG-4 Visual
              Format profile : Simple@L1
              Format settings, BVOP : No
              Format settings, QPel : No
              Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
              Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
              Codec ID : 20
              Bit rate mode : Variable
              Bit rate : 1 393 Kbps
              Width : 720 pixels
              Height : 404 pixels
              Display aspect ratio : 16:9
              Frame rate mode : Constant
              Frame rate : 23.976 fps
              Color space : YUV
              Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
              Bit depth : 8 bits
              Scan type : Progressive
              Compression mode : Lossy
              Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.200
              Stream size : 425 MiB (76%)
              Writing library : Lavc52.88.0

Audio
              ID : 2
              Format : AAC
              Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
              Format profile : LC
              Codec ID : 40
              Bit rate mode : Variable
              Bit rate : 445 Kbps
              Channel(s) : 6 channels
              Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
              Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
              Compression mode : Lossy
              Stream size : 136 MiB (24%)

Comment

These should play just fine on the iPad or iPhone4. Do they not?

Comment

Hi akparajack
                  Please give this thread a read through it may help especially post #15 from my friend 90312.
                  Hope this helps
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Oooops, missed the audio settings. Thanks for the backkup 929.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                      Oooops, missed the audio settings. Thanks for the backkup 929.
                      Never worry, I got your back.
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Ok so if I'm starting to understand this, the audio settings under the edit section of DVD FAB need to be adjusted if the file is to be coded so that it will play on the iPad. What about the resolution? Clearly these files won't play on the iPad or my mini pc - it's not just a problem with the audio. If I just select iPad on the left tool bar in the DVD FAB app instead of the iPod/iPhone, will this adjust the settings automatically so that they are correct?

The files barely play on my HP mini in windows media player, and/or via iTunes. They kind a play a little bit on the iPad but there is no audio as has been noted, and if you stop the playback, it won't restart, etc...

So back to my original question. I have all of this media coded for the iPhone on my hard drive, and it plays just fine on my iPhone 3. I don't have any of the original source media to recode the files once again via DVD-FAB. Am I stuck with the iPhone 3 only option, or is there a way to recode the files so that they will play on the iPad/mini PC?

I'm thinking probably not.... I'm not blond but I probably sound like it when it comes to this stuff.... I'm typically too lazy to become knowledgeable enough to figure this stuff out on my own... Sorry!

Thanks again,

Jack

Comment

@akparajack
                          From what I see in you MediaInfo, your files are fine and should play OK. With all my respect to other members experience, I personally have all my movies for portable devices coded with multichannel audio and never had a problem.
                          I think reason I never had a problem because I paid attention to other side of coin - player - as well. In short, what I would suggest you to do is to visit this link http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html
                          download and install this player to your mini-PC. Try to play your files with this player.
                          I have to let you know though, that your content coded in Simple@L1 format would never produce quality on iPad that you deserve. It's too primitive, but this is topic for another discussion.
                          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                          X