X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dvd collection back up?

Hello,
    I want to back up my dvd collection. I was wondering what the best way to rip a dvd to harddrive is so that I can later go back and use any of the other dvd fab options without needing the actual disk in the event of it being destroyed. I would like to burn an exact copy or remove certain titles and such for compression or format it for an ipod. Say a dual layer for instance. I may want to go back and burn an exact copy of the disk on a dual layer dvdr or compress it so that I can burn it on a single layer disk. Also, if you use dvd to dvd with a dual layer disc instead of clone will you have to mess with the layer break? For this reason is it best to always use clone for dual layer copies? Should I always rip to the harddrive first anyway to prevent errors or does fab do this? Thanks so much! Cheers!

DVDFab always writes a file to your hard disk even if you are burning to an optical disc immediately. The temporary files are deleted after burning with DVDFab's default settings, but you can change this. If you are using Full Disc copy mode, you should go into Common Settings->Protection->DVD and UNcheck the box that says remove layer break for better playability. Clone mode writes a disc image (ISO file) if you don't want to burn immediately and always uses the same layer break point as the original. You can use either the ISO file from Clone or the VIDEO_TS folder from Full Disc to re-process the title later using Customize or Main Movie to remove the content you don't want in your disc backup.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks!

Is there any downside or considerations to unchecking the remove layer break box in the full disc mode? Is it something I can leave unchecked all of the time regardless of burning single and dual layer backups? So to burn a SL backup from a Clone iso that has original layer break would I have to create a new iso through the full disc option to remove the layer break? It is obviously best to have an iso saved with original layer break in order to have any dl or sl option at a later date correct? Sorry if confusing, thanks for your time!

Comment

When using clone mode, compression is never applied...essentially, it is a bit for bit copy. In clone mode the LB will be preserved regardless. Obviously, if the files are small enough to fit on SL media, this is a moot point as there is no LB.

Clone will always rip to an .ISO.

Personally, I have never seen an advantage/disadvantage to ticking or unticking the LB.
        Again, in clone mode, the LB is preserved regardless whether this is ticked or unticked.

Most of us use Img for DL burning (many of us for SL burns too).
        With Img, you will always have to select the LB.
        Img will populate a list of locations and prompt you.
        To anticipate your next question, I have never had a "bad" LB with Img.

Hope this helps.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry, I meant to explain Img a bit more.

If you use Img as an external app (not within Fab), you can use build mode to create an .ISO file and this will include an .MDS file.
          When burning with Img as a standalone app, it will look for this .MDS file (this contains the LB info).

If done in this manner, you do not have to select the LB
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by dvdking11 View Post
            Is there any downside or considerations to unchecking the remove layer break box in the full disc mode? Is it something I can leave unchecked all of the time regardless of burning single and dual layer backups? So to burn a SL backup from a Clone iso that has original layer break would I have to create a new iso through the full disc option to remove the layer break? It is obviously best to have an iso saved with original layer break in order to have any dl or sl option at a later date correct? Sorry if confusing, thanks for your time!
            The only downside is that if your copy is of a markedly different size than the original the unremoved layer break can fall in what is a less than optimum (or even impossible) physical position on the burned disc. With Full Disc this is not an issue. I leave it unchecked for any backup over around 5.5-6GB, which has worked pretty well. ImgBurn will find it and generally rate it higher than the other layer break options that it presents to you. As my old friend maineman noted, for your purposes Clone mode to ISO file may be a better option.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks to all!

The vast knowledge is much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
              X