No announcement yet.

Do I need an updated Graphics Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware Do I need an updated Graphics Card?

So what with all the present problems I have been having with the 81xx Qt series, I am wondering if my present video card needs an update? My driver is definitely up to date but as a non-technical person I cannot quite see the correlation between my system video card and the inability to make a successful BD rip and then stream it via the PS3 without the present problems that I have been discussing in the BD Ripper section of this forum. Basically, 8085 works great, 81xx series does not. I am not a gamer and any assistance (in simple terms please) as to whether my present card is okay for the 81xx Qt series would be appreciated. If the present graphics card is not good enough, what graphics card will be suitable?

Here are the specs of my present system;

System

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model Studio 540
    Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system (Win 7 Pro)
    Number of processor cores 4

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 2459 GB
    Disk partition (C 141 GB Free (195 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D 352 GB Free (401 GB Total)
    Media drive (E CD/DVD
    Disk partition (F 1269 GB Free (1863 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
    Total available graphics memory 3067 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 2811 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.850.0.0
    Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
    DirectX version DirectX 10

And this is the info extracted from DVDFab regarding the Codec;

Graphics Chipset :
    ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series

Supported Video Codecs :
    DXVA_MODE_H264
    DXVA_MODE_VC1

CoreAVC : cannot be detected.

I am not sure why your current setup won't make files that play in the PS3, but I can tell you that the DVDFab internal codecs and profiles were updated just after v8.0.8.5. If you have not done so already in the other thread, install MediaInfo and post the analysis of the 8085 vs. later version output files for the same movie source and settings.

If you plan to do much re-encoding of Blu-rays, you should probably consider an upgrade to the video card just on the basis of speed and performance. A good price/performance point seems to be the nvidia 400 series cards.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Graphics Cards

Thanks for the response - I recently posted the MediaInfo comparisons between 8085/8107 and the last response I saw regarding this was that one of the experts saw what he thinks is definitely a 'bug' and that the comparisons would give the developers something to work with to try to rectify matters

Comment

Is this Graphics ok?

I would be very grateful if the technical folks out there could take a look at the following link and let me know if the graphics card listed there will be suitable;

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X