Rip And/Or Copy Times (Speed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip And/Or Copy Times (Speed)

it appears that more than a few happy dvdfab users enjoy dvd rip and/or copy times of 5 minutes or less per dvd (non-bd), some apparently even enjoy times of 3 minutes or less. me, about 15-25 minutes per dvd, ouch. so what's the secret gang? i've tried a myriad of settings (different codec settings, enable/disable lightening recording, dvd copy, dvd rip, entire disc, movie only, etc.) but i can't improve my rip or copy times. any help would be much appreciated!

vitals:

latest version of dvdfab8
    i3 2100
    z68-ma board
    4 gb memory
    samsung sh-b123l
    sata hdd
    udma 5 on both ide drive channels
    ripping/copying to 2tb usb expansion drive (same speed experienced whether to expansion drive or internal hdd)

The speed for decrypting and copying a DVD to your hard drive, with your system specs, is almost surely controlled or limited by the optical drive and I am not aware of any drive that will read a DL DVD-Video accurately in 3 minutes. In DVD Copy, the speed readout at the bottom of the process window should start at around 2-3 MB/s and peak at 10-12 MB/s for or higher for newer drives when writing without compression. You will get better speeds when the optical drive and hard drive are on different controllers, rather than on different channels on the same controller, not sure what your motherboard has.

Your speed for DVD Ripper conversions will be faster when using the hard drive folder as a Source, but will be limited by your CPU and internal bus speeds. Fully optimized high performance systems can see conversion speeds of 4-500 fps depending on settings.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

signals, thanks very much for your prompt and informative post... unfortunately it looks like i'm stuck with the "relatively" slow times unless, perhaps, i purchase a faster drive specifically for ripping/copying? can you recommend one? after i purchased my samsung combo i was told that i might run into slow rip/copy times given that, according to the person i spoke with, combo's weren't the fastest option around.

re my setup, i have the sata drive (crucial m4 sata lll) and combo drive (samsung sh-b123l) on separate ide channels (0 & 1) and they both read udma 5 in device manager. when i do a dvd copy i'm getting 5 mb/s at the start, topping out at about 9.5 mb/s towards the end. when i encode (wmv) for example, i'm getting about an average of 200 fps. i have compression set at dvd9. just finished ripping a dvd (iron man 2), the main movie, wmv, and the job failed after one pass (which took 15 min, estimated job time was 34 min), even though the job failed, it wrote a 369,500 kb wmv video file to my drive (presumably the result of one pass). i tried playing it and the video quality was unwatchable, makes sd look like hd.

btw, the time it takes to rip/copy is pretty much the same regardless if my target is the local sata drive or the usb expansion drive.

Comment

just noticed that my cpu (i3-2100) usage is practically nil when ripping a dvd, between 4%-8% - is this normal?

Comment

Depends. If I'm using CUDA, then yes, I see almost no CPU usage. Everything else uses 100% CPU I believe. When I'm ripping with CUDA (direct from my Bluray/DVD drive), I'm getting around 180-190FPS encoding at 2800kbps.

Comment

Originally posted by aeneas1 View Post
            just noticed that my cpu (i3-2100) usage is practically nil when ripping a dvd, between 4%-8% - is this normal?
            If you define ripping as copying to the hard drive as a VIDEO_TS foldler from the original disc, then yes, it is perfectly normal. If by ripping you mean converting to AVI/MP4 etc then see Motley's answer.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X