Playing back up blu ray from hdd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Playing back up blu ray from hdd?

Is there a free software program that I can watch a blu ray movie on my computer? I use Dvdfab blu ray copy and back up my movies to the hdd before I burn? I have Vlc media player but can't seem to figure out how to view the files or even if this program supports blu ray?

Sure, VLC will do it and so will MPC (media player classic) as long as it's not an .ISO file.
    For an .ISO, you'll need to mount the .ISO file with an emulator.

Both are freeware and excellent. I actually prefer MPC, but that's just me.

You may be trying to open subdirectories, etc.
    Just open the entire folder.

For VLC, click on VLC to open.
    Upper left drop down ---> Media ---> Open Folder ---> navigate to the BD folder via windoz explorer and select.
    That should do it.

For .ISO files, your best bet is to mount the movie with Fab Virtual Drive.
    Then go ahead and use one of the software players
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Great,I will try it when I get home. Will these freeware programs play the blu ray disc directly from the writer?

Comment

Looks like VSO came out with a new player but I've not tested it http://www.vso-software.fr/products/...dia-player.php It's supposed to play decrypted files, folders or disc only (Bluray and DVD).

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
          Looks like VSO came out with a new player but I've not tested it http://www.vso-software.fr/products/...dia-player.php It's supposed to play decrypted files, folders or disc only (Bluray and DVD).
          Nice find!
          Thanks for posting the link. Just kicked the tires and took it for a spin.
          Played a BD .ISO file (The King's Speech) without a problem whereas my previous install of VLC would not.

Howzit goin anyway?
          I'm not only retired from the forum, but I'm really "retired"
          I'll probably pick up a part-time job in the near future.
          The honey-do-list is killing me...

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            Nice find!
            Thanks for posting the link. Just kicked the tires and took it for a spin.
            Played a BD .ISO file (The King's Speech) without a problem whereas my previous install of VLC would not.

Howzit goin anyway?
            I'm not only retired from the forum, but I'm really "retired"
            I'll probably pick up a part-time job in the near future.
            The honey-do-list is killing me...
            I just happened up on it but I have TMT so I really had no need in testing but glad to see that it works. It handles the menus also or just goes straight to playing the movie? (just curious more than anything)
            I'm doing pretty good old friend, thanks for asking. I hear ya on those "honey-do-list". I was laid-off for about 2 years but worked every day I had to find a paying job just to get a break

Comment

For some reason I can't get VLC media player to open and play the blu ray disc.
              I downloaded VSO media player but it only works with a decryptor like "anydvd" or "passkey" "Dvd43" for standard dvds.(Which is what I have used many times.)I have dvdfab blu ray copy but not passkey. So Vso media player won't play the disc from my optical drive. I'll have to try using Dvd blu ray copy to my hdd and than seeing if Vso media player will play the movie from a file on my computer. I don't watch many movies on my computer so purchasing one of the decryptors would be a fringe expense that i don't have right now. I really only wanted to be able to look at some of the special features on the disc's in order to decide if I want to back up Full movie's or Movie only. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Comment

Hi unclebubbies
                Why not just view it from your Blu-ray player if all you want to do is view special features???
                You may also be able to do what you are asking with Fab, let it open the disc in Full disc but do not start copying it then open VSO media player and see if you can now read the disc.
                Have you also tried MPC that Maineman suggested?
                CBR929
                Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

It's a convenience thing at my home. But I've tried all of everyone's suggestions to no avail. None of the ''free media players" will play a disc direct from my drive. I can play a back up disc fine. Can someone tell me what commercial programs allow blu ray playback direct from the drive. There must be something out there or no one would watch a movie on their computer.
                  What are my best low cost options?

Comment

Sorry, I took your statement as playing hdd files on your pc, not encrypted BD discs.
                    I've used a watered-down powerdvd version that came with my BD-ROM.
                    I've was never thrilled with it, seemed to cause more problems than it was worth so I uninstalled as I had no real need.

Folks seem to like TMT, but I have no personal experience with it.
                    I know it's not cheap though, seems like a lot to pay "convenience".
                    I'd do some research and get some opinions from experienced users such as my good friend W&B...post #6.

I believe that whatever software you choose, it will require regular updates (firmware) to keep pace with commercial BD disc playback

What software came bundled with your BD burner?
                    Is probably adequate to the task.

Your other option is to run an on-the-fly-decrypter as you playback

Comment

What do you mean by "on-the-fly-decrypter" ?
                      I tried using Dvdfab blu ray. I opened the program in "full movie" version but that didn't allow the free media player to overlook the copy protection.
                      Oh wait I get it you mean dvd43 or anydvd, correct?

Comment

Yup, like that, but I don't believe dvd43 will do BD although I haven't kept up with it.

I think for on-the-fly decrypters that'll do what you want, you're down to Fab Passkey or the red fox

Comment

Thanks for you help. I never loaded any software with the LG burner. I'll have to check my packaging and see if there is a program that reads and plays blu ray's directly from the drive. Not sure if I received that or not. And no dvd43 will not decrypt blu rays. When all is said and done I can just back up the disc to the hdd and then check out what I want to back up or not.

Comment

I think Total Media Theater 5 or Power DVD10/11 is what you are looking for. If you have Passkey, VLC and the other players can play the m2ts files inside the BDMV Stream folder, but I don't think they can read the UDF 2.5 file system which is used on BD, i.e. no menus etc. and BDs with more than a single m2ts for the main movie will not play correctly. Surely there is some free BD player somewhere on the web?
                            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I've been looking for a free or no cost blu ray media player but haven't had much luck. I do not have passkey. I do have Dvdfab bluray copy. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X