Is this a good computer for burning my backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Is this a good computer for burning my backups

lots of guys on here that no more about computers than me. I'm in the market for a new computer and I love burning my movies. I am running an old dell 2004 it burns my movies pretty good but does not compress the movies at all. I can only burn on a 50gb disk but it's time to retire it. iGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)
    Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
    1 Year Basic Support
    DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
    6GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 3 DIMMs
    1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    No Monitor
    Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    Nvidia® Geforce® G405
    No Speaker Option
    THX® TruStudio PC™
    Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
    Dell Laser Mouse
    McAfee SecurityCenter, 30-Day Trial
    No Dial Up Modem Option
    My Accessories
    Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription, Digital Delivery
    Also Includes
    Studio XPS 9100
    Adobe® Acrobat® ReaderCompatibility Alert
    Recalculating Price

If somebody can help kool. I'll be taking the dvd drive out and put my blu ray burner in.

Is this a good computer for burning my backups?

I don't see any problems.

Good Luck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Searching for yourself is a lifetime journey.
    Life is what happens in between.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

If you use the online backup that comes with this machine it will slow the machine down when it tries to make the online backups and will also load your network connection. The McAfee antivirus has false positives and other difficulties with DVDFab, you may want to choose something else when the free period expires. Not sure how some of the other software that is on it may impact making conversions or backups, but the hardware looks great and should work very well.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

In addition to the solid advice from signals and Timothy...
        one other thought...

The graphics card, Nvidia® Geforce® G405, is low end so I would pass on using CUDA.
        Your Fab A/V Codec settings should be Software only for both the Video Decoder and the Video Encoder.

CUDA has "some" advantages, but has its disadvantages too.
        You won't be missing much and may avoid potential problems.
        You've got a solid cpu and your cpu is definitely where the rubber meets the road for video processing.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

This system is okay, but... your buying old technology, probably because Dell is discounting it to "dump" it.

I would buy something with current technology, this would be an "i" CPU with Intel Quick Sync support.

If you have the skills you my want to consider building a system yourself, you'll get more for your money.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary..

Comment

Working...
          X