Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failure with double layer DVDs (reg 2 PAL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure with double layer DVDs (reg 2 PAL)

I bought copies of Winged Migration and March of the Penguins in French. They are region 2 and PAL encoded. I can start them but they don't play more than a few seconds. I don't know why and would appreciate some help.

I downloaded and installed dvdfab a couple of days ago. I was hoping to watch my DVDs. Each in turn took dvdfab about 3.5 minutes to process with a few read errors where I chose "ignore." I got a coding report and error list (see below).

Then Windows Media Player opened. I watched the opening warning and about 30 seconds of the intro. Looked and sounded beautiful. Then it started sort of stuttering video and stopped. Although I can't say how I got the same movies to start in Nero 9 Show Time, I somehow got that going. I got the same kind of crash with a read error.

I know the DVDs are double layer. My machine is a relatively new Panasonic Toughbook CF-W8 laptop. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Toshiba and NeroInfo say my drive can read double layer DVDs. The drive is a Matshita UJE 8445. I know that the common model is UJ 8445 but mine has that extra "E" in the model number. I've never had any problems with DVDs.

From dvdfab:
    Vendor: MATSHITA
    Product: DVD-RAM UJE844S
    Revision: 1.10
    Vendor specific: 90731mKMEWD39022264
    Drive region control: RPC II
    Drive region: 1
    User changes left: 4
    Vendor resets left: 4

Disc media: DVD
    Disc type: DVD-Video
    Disc region: 2
    Volume name: LA_MARCHE_DE_L_EMPEREUR_FILM
    Video standard: PAL
    Layer 0 size: 2028160 sectors (3961 MBytes)
    Layer 1 size: 2028160 sectors (3961 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is removed!
    RC (Region Code) protection is removed!
    RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is not found.
    APS (Analog Protection System) protection is removed!
    UOPs (User Operation Prohibitions) protection is removed!

Invalid PTTs protection is not found.
    Invalid PGCIs protection is not found.
    Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
    Invalid TMAPs protection is not found.
    Invalid CELLs protection is removed!
    Invalid VOBUs protection is not found.
    Fake vts protection is not found!
    Potential bad sector (vts:1 title begin:1220 end:7144) is removed!
    Potential bad sector (vts:3 title begin:0 end:1100) is removed!
    2 potential bad sector protections are removed!
    Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is removed!

PathPlayer is enabled!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:3) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:4) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:5) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:6) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:7) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:8) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:9) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:10) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:3 cell:11) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:4 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:5 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:6 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:7 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:1 title pgc:8 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:3 title pgc:2 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:3 title pgc:2 cell:2) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:3 title pgc:22 cell:1) is removed!
    Unplayable cell (vts:3 title pgc:23 cell:1) is removed!
    18 unplayable cells are removed!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I am in France looking at more region 2 DVDs I'd like to buy. No point in doing it if I can't play them. I'm hoping someone will have an answer to my original post before I leave here.

Thanks

Comment

Please try to the latest build.

Wilson
      Please post your logs the default location is:
      For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
      For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
      If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post

Wilson
        Thank you. I will try this.

Meanwhile, I don't understand fully the difference in your products. As I described, I want to buy DVDs from other regions, mainly 2 for France. I would probably just play them on my laptop, but might want to burn a DVD so I could view them somewhere with a bigger screen.

Although I have Nero 9 already, it seems like DVD Copy has some nice, extra features and only costs $10 more than DVD Passkey. But I cannot tell if DVD Copy has all the features of DVD Passkey for reading all possible foreign DVDs. I also want to be sure not to use up my dvd player's region code changes.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post

Wilson
          Just got back from a trip and tried the new version. If anything, it's worse. On one of the DVDs, I can only see a few seconds of the intro before it hangs. On the other, all I get is screen garbage.

Comment

Most Matshita drives do not allow reading or copying out-of-region discs with DVDFab, Passkey or anything else. Get one of the inexpensive USB drives to use as a reader or replace the Matshita with something else.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              Most Matshita drives do not allow reading or copying out-of-region discs with DVDFab, Passkey or anything else. Get one of the inexpensive USB drives to use as a reader or replace the Matshita with something else.
              I guess I must have missed something in the DVDFab info about Matshita drives. You might consider having the program give some kind of warning as soon as it detects a Matshita drive.

Do I need to buy a region free external USB drive or just any external player + DVDfab? I've been looking but have not found any that are described in their specs as region free.

Thanks.

Comment

I am in Region 1 and purchase discs from Region 2 that are not available here. Since I have a Matshita drive in my laptop, I bought a USB drive (region 1, Samsung) for about US$40 that works with DVDFab to produce all-region PAL discs that I can play on my laptop or convert to NTSC and play on my standalone player. It sounds like this is similar to what you are trying to accomplish. For the laptop, I don't actually burn them to a blank disc but store the VIDEO_TS folders on the hard drive for playback.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  I am in Region 1 and purchase discs from Region 2 that are not available here. Since I have a Matshita drive in my laptop, I bought a USB drive (region 1, Samsung) for about US$40 that works with DVDFab to produce all-region PAL discs that I can play on my laptop or convert to NTSC and play on my standalone player. It sounds like this is similar to what you are trying to accomplish. For the laptop, I don't actually burn them to a blank disc but store the VIDEO_TS folders on the hard drive for playback.
                  Yes, signals, that is exactly what I need. I found a Samsung drive after seeing your post for $36 on Amazon. The only negative comment was that some users need to use 2 USB ports. I can live with that, too.

The other thing I just found was a patch that looks like it might work with my internal drive to make it region free. If it did work, do you think that then DVDfab would likely work with the drive? I don't mind spending the money for the external drive. It's just easier when traveling in Region 2 not to have to carry an extra drive.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerRegion2 View Post
                    The other thing I just found was a patch that looks like it might work with my internal drive to make it region free. If it did work, do you think that then DVDfab would likely work with the drive? I don't mind spending the money for the external drive. It's just easier when traveling in Region 2 not to have to carry an extra drive.
                    It turns out that the patch does work for most Matshita drives. Mine is now region free. The patch is here: The RPC-1 firmware page

The problem now is that I can't test DVDFab for two reasons. First, it appears that for the two DVDs I have with me right now, my only problem was the region, not other coding or encryption. Just running RegionKiller lets the DVDs play. Second, my trial period for DVDPasskey has expired. So even if I had an encrypted, Region 2 dvd, I couldn't test it.

Comment

Working...
                    X