Protection from loss of licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

License/Key Protection from loss of licence

Updates to many products, including dvdfab, often include bugs. Major updates, often more bugs. You know this only too well. And you ask your customers, who have paid good money to help you test your products.

Yet you pleace those very same customers at risk of having their licences, and purchases of potentially several hundreds of dollars, blacklisted.

Signals, please don't bite my head off!

With all due respect, I think it would be good if you could find a way to support the people who use and test your products, with some form of indemnification against being blacklisted. A beta or temporary key, or an expiration date on the beta software... Something that allows concurrent use.

I have a test computer. I never install beta software on my production machine. But if I test on this machine I run the risk of losing my licence, even though all I'm doing is trying to help you guys and show you some support.

Good testing means not only testing new features, but comparing new against old. This means being able to run two versions concurrently, either on the same PC or different PCs (if the software can only be installed once on a machine due to technical limitations, not licence limitations).

It seems a bit harsh to say to people "it may contain bugs" and "can you pelase help us test and evaluate it" and then "if you do what we ask we may black list your licence".

I'm coming from 20 years experience as a programmer.

I mean no disrespect - even Micro$oft are not this tough on beta testers. And yes, I understand that Micro$oft products are less often updated and tested on a much bigger scale.

Beta software use on a second PC shouldn't cause your license to be blacklisted because Fengtao Software allows users to install on two concurrent systems as long as when running the software on PC1 it is not running on PC2 currently.
    Formerly DVDKingdom

Comment

Way too much drama over nothing.

I have been using fab software on 2 desktops and 1 laptop for many months.

In all over the years I have had it installed on 7 different computers.

Comment

I agree. Definitely "Drama Queen" mode.

I reckon I've installed Fab on over 15 computers over the years and also have various versions installed on 3 machines. I just never use more than 2 concurrently.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Don't use the beta's and have some cheese.........
          "You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"

Click to join forum.dvdfab.com

Comment

Installed on multiple PCs over the years

I started with DVDFab Platinum 3 back in May 2008, my PCs have seen some major changes during that time, hence many re-installs of the software & several different laptops.

It is a rare occasion when the Laptop & Pc are at the same location, so running concurrently is not a problem.

Currently having to convert to Div-X, so it is interesting to see the speed difference between an Intel Core2 T6600 (over 2 hours) & an AMD Phenom 1090T 6 core (20 minutes).
            Stacks of grunt in the Phenom.

Comment

Yanta
              The betas are made available for those who want quick access to new features or protection removal. If you don't want to contribute to the testing, you certainly don't have to. I am recommending that we go back to Internal betas in a private forum.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                Yanta
                The betas are made available for those who want quick access to new features or protection removal. If you don't want to contribute to the testing, you certainly don't have to. I am recommending that we go back to Internal betas in a private forum.
                I really hope that doesn't happen. Don't spoil it for the rest of us that enjoy taking the new betas for a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by jkadlec View Post
                  I really hope that doesn't happen. Don't spoil it for the rest of us that enjoy taking the new betas for a spin.
                  If the betas go internal it may work as before in that those that want to be a beta tester will be given access to the internal forum.

But will keep those that can screw up a steel ball with a rubber hammer from having access to the betas.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
                    If the betas go internal it may work as before in that those that want to be a beta tester will be given access to the internal forum.
                    I think that would be a fair compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurayfan View Post
                      Beta software use on a second PC shouldn't cause your license to be blacklisted because Fengtao Software allows users to install on two concurrent systems as long as when running the software on PC1 it is not running on PC2 currently.
                      And that is exactly the problem. It is *highly* likely, that in the process of testing I will have both PCs, side by side, comparing features, results and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                        I agree. Definitely "Drama Queen" mode.
                        That really is inappropriate

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                          Yanta
                          On the contrary, I do want to participate, but I don't want to lose my licence in doing so.

But since my post seems to achieved nothing more than a series of flames and put downs, I don't think I'll go to the trouble. Don't privatise it because of me.

Comment

Dear all,

I'm sorry for the license trouble in 8150 beta. There are a lot of internal changes in this beta version, and our test team had done their best to check everything changed, but they didn't test the license part since it's not changed, sadly there was a bug.

We don't want to put beta trouble to normal user, that's why we put it in forum and warn user when there are a lot of changes.

We will learn from this lession and improve in the future, thanks for your understanding and support.
                            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
                            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Working...
                            X