Matroska libraries used by Fab are out of date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matroska libraries used by Fab are out of date

Tried to search for relevant posts on this, but all references to the matroska libraries seem to be in MediaInfo pastes with the exception of one post in French regarding 3D which had no replies, so hoping this is a new thread.

Anyway....

I've noticed that MediaInfo reports the libmatroska and libebml versions used by Fab in creating MKV files as:
    Writing application: DVDFab
    Writing library: libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

However, the latest version of mkvmerge uses:
    Writing application: mkvmerge v5.2.1 ('A Far Off Place') built on Jan 2 2012 23:21:10
    Writing library: libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0

And the latest version of mkclean uses:
    Writing application: mkclean 0.8.6 ro from libebml2 v0.21.1 + libmatroska2 v0.22.1 + mkclean 0.8.6 o from libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0 + mkvmerge v5.2.1 ('A Far Off Place') built on Jan 2 2012 23:21:10
    Writing library: libebml2 v0.21.1 + libmatroska2 v0.22.1

Looking on sourceforge, the libraries Fab is using were last updated on the site around Feb 2010, but looking inside the tar balls shows the source code was last updated in 2004/2005!! The newest libraries have source code from early 2011.

Um, just a thought... but maybe a some of the issues people have been seeing with creating matroska files and playability could be related to using old versions of the libraries?

To be honest I didn't go through the history log (I couldn't find it actually) to see what had changed in the libraries since 2005, but I figure they may have fixed a fair few things in last 6 or 7 years.

I realise it may not be a straight forward change, but what are the chances the libraries could be updated to the latest (or at least more recent) versions in an upcoming release?

Thanks!

What versions others are using may not be relevant; the DVDFab developers I'm sure have reasons for using the ones that are in place. I will move your thread to General Questions since it not really about a problem. Perhaps one of them will see it and give you a more specific reply.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I was wondering if I should have posted in the Gen Q's forum, but posted it here because it I figured it was ripping specific.

BTW - I took a closer look at the files in the tars and, for the record, I noticed that the latest dates were actually 2007/2008, so only 3 or 4 years old. Also found the change log - in the tar! (doh!)

I do get your point about reasons for the devs using specific versions and if that's the case, so be it. But there is always the chance that the updates have been overlooked or need another look, so thought I'd mention it given the time elapsed since they were last updated.

Thx
      Last edited by Kez; 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
      X