Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does 2D to 3D DVDFab conversion compare to TV's 2D>3D conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does 2D to 3D DVDFab conversion compare to TV's 2D>3D conversion?

Hi all.

I see DVDFab can do a 2D>3D conversion... I'm just wondering if it is any better/worse or the same as my Samsung's capability to do a 2D>3D conversion with the click of a button on the remote?

If its comparable, I guess it doesnt pay to use DVDFab, since like I said - I just need to push a button while playing my 2D flicks.

But... if there is a noticable quality difference... I may be interested in messing with it.

Can anyone post comparisons or experiences with this?

anyone?

Comment

2D to 3D Coversion

I am looking for the same information and for the same reason. I understand that it would be impossible to recreate the FULL 3D experience because when all is said and done if a film is not shot with 3D in mind then only the depth can be recreated. It is this recreation that I am querying, is it equal too, less than or greater than the TV's abilty to produce 3D from 2D

Comment

If it's any consolation, I'm doing a few tests (Sky Captain, Sucker Punch, Corpse Bride) this weekend...and believe me, it'll take all weekend to do all three. I'm using Blu ray so I can have the best image possible to convert. I did a quickie with a standard dvd, and it was pretty poor. I'll let you know what I find out.

By the way, I am using an LG 4700 passive to review my tests on, if that makes and difference.

Comment

Well, after a weekend of ripping the same movies over and over and over (that's three times, as you can see), I can report on the success of the 2D to 3D conversion process.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am using an LG 47" 3D Cinema passive led TV which has it's own built-in 2D to 3D on-the-fly converter. I also just purchased the Micca EP600 G2 3D media player (and a big round of applause goes out for that little jewel). It too has a built-in 2D/3D converter.

The resulting image using DVDFab's 2D to 3D conversion software is by far the most stunning. It has excellent depth and is very convincing, while the other two on-the-fly conversions produced a movie that was rather flat.

The reason I ripped the dvd three times, is because I needed a flat (2D) blu ray copy to test the LG and Micca units with, a converted (via DVDFab 2D to 3D) blu ray copy, and finally, the real deal blu ray 3D mkv rip. Needless to say, the native 3D movie (in this case, Journey 2) was far and away the best 3D experience.

All in all, the DVDFab 2d/2D conversion get a thumbs up from me. While it's not as convincing (and certainly not as accurate) as a film natively shot in 3D or one converted professionally by a big budget movie house, it is none the less a great way to get your triple-D ya ya's out on classics that haven't undergone the "treatment" yet.

Comment

G137,
            Please --- what 3D conversion settings did you use?
            Thanx

Comment

Thanks for posting the results of your tests and feedback G137, glad it worked well for you.
              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

mediachimp,
                If I recall, I ripped to mkv with audiocopy and the 2d to 3d box checked. Everything else was taken care of by the DVDFab blu ray ripper itself. Hope that answers your question.

Comment

output format

Do you burn your conversions to Bluray or feed the output from your computer. I would like to convert some bluraymovies to 3D, burn discs, and play them on my system (Active shutter JVC LDAX9 projector, Oppo 3D BR player). Is this even possible with DVDFab? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to waste a lot of time trying to do something DVDFab is not designed to do.

Thanks for any help

Comment

Working...
                  X