Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Possible To Copy Several DVD Movies On To One Blu-Ray Disc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is It Possible To Copy Several DVD Movies On To One Blu-Ray Disc?

I just installed a new Blu-Ray internal drive on my computer thinking that I could transfer DVD's (movies) files, that I currently have stored on a Western Digital external drive. I thought I could utilize the extra space of the Blu-Ray blank media to store several (?) movies on one disc. I don't need the files to be improved to Blu-Ray quality, just stored as-is. Is this possible to do with DVDFab, or with anything else???
    Thanks

You can store them there, I don't know of a way you can play them from a Blu-ray. Big hard drives are cheap, get one with a USB dock for it.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Out of curiosity I gave this a try. I was able to copy DVDs to a Blu-Ray using Nero. You have to do it as an ISO composition, not a UDF composition. I then was able to play back each individual file on my computer using ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre. Some movies showed a bit of lag to them but played pretty well for the most part.

I then took the disc to my Dune Max player (Clicky) & was able to watch each individual file without any problems at all. Very cool!! I was able to get 5 DVD movies on 1 Blu-Ray disc(Movie only) but I'm sure that will depend on each file size.

Comment

Dvd to Blu-ray

Digidave, I read some of the features and it said you can swap HHD's!

Does that mean you can fill up a HHD with blu-ray movies and dvd movies and play them and then remove HHD and plug in another HHD with it full of movies and play them?

If so, what would you need to do this? Would you need a USB docking station, where you can plug in HHD's, fill them up with movies and then unplug them and plug them into the dune player!

I'm new at this and want to be able to do something like this, is this possible?

It says that it will also play blu-ray and dvd disc! Does that mean it will play your back-up blu-ray disc(VERB BD-R) and your backup dvds(TY02 DVD+R)disc?

I want to get away from burring movies to disc and just swap HHD's and be able to plug back up HHD's if I want to brun a movie if needed so!

I'm I understanding the Dune Player right, under the features menu?
        I would greatly appreciate any information(teaching an old dog new tricks)!

Comment

Does that mean you can fill up a HHD with blu-ray movies and dvd movies and play them and then remove HHD and plug in another HHD with it full of movies and play them?
          That's exactly what it means. It's called "Hot Swappable". I also have this for Hard Drives. Clicky While the hard drive still has space on it & I need to keep going back & forth between my computer & the Dune player, I use the Dune's HD bay. Once the HDD gets full I put it in the External HDD enclosure permanently. It is recommended that you use the HDDs that are 5900rpm sometimes called "Green" or "Energy Saving" hard drives. They produce less heat which is very important for the life of a HDD.

If so, what would you need to do this? Would you need a USB docking station, where you can plug in HHD's, fill them up with movies and then unplug them and plug them into the dune player!
          Yes you would. I, fortunately, have a computer that has 2 hot swappable bays on the front. If you don't have that you need a docking station for your computer.

It says that it will also play blu-ray and dvd disc! Does that mean it will play your back-up blu-ray disc(VERB BD-R) and your backup dvds(TY02 DVD+R)disc?
          Exactly! That is where I played my Blu-Ray with the 5 DVDs burned on it. It will also play CDs. That's mostly what I use it for. Put the DVDs & BDs on the HDDs & play CDs from the Disc Reader bay.

By the way, I'm an Old Dog also(54 years old). People talk about setting up their Dune's to wirelessly connect to a HD connected to their routers & other crap like that. Waaay beyond my expertise!! This Dune player is probably the best purchase I have made in quite some time. It so simple & so far it's never let me down.

Comment

I do pretty well the same thing with my AC Ryan Mini 2 and 2 x 2Tb external drives attached. No optical drive though, Couldn't be bothered. All my music CD's are on the hard drive as MP3's and I play them. (Only 31000 tracks)..

Only difference is that I have it networked so that I can copy, etc without having to unplug drives.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              I do pretty well the same thing with my AC Ryan Mini 2 and 2 x 2Tb external drives attached. No optical drive though, Couldn't be bothered. All my music CD's are on the hard drive as MP3's and I play them. (Only 31000 tracks)..

Only difference is that I have it networked so that I can copy, etc without having to unplug drives.
              See! There ya go! Gettin' all technical & stuff. It was that networking thing that I was talking about. It confused the hell out of me so I went with something I could comprehend.

As far as the mp3s on the hard drive. My goal is to do that also but I want to be able to play them randomly. With the Dune, I have it set up to play a Folder when I click on it so if the mp3s are put on with the usual Folder/file tree it will play an entire CD straight thru. I want my variety Dammit!! I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around making play lists. When I use Winamp to load up my mp3 player I add all the CD folders I want. Then I can click on the Header of the list for "File number". That will put all song #1s first from all the CDs then all the #2s next & so on. Not exactly random but it's better than CD #1 than CD#2 & so on. I need to find a play list maker that will do that otherwise it means adding each individual mp3 in the order I want.

Comment

Dvd to Blu-ray

Digidave, Thanks for posting back! Just what I wanted to do! Also thanks for the "clicky", sounds what I been looking for!

Do you have to worry about "CINIVIA" anymore? I have the first Blu-ray player SONY came out with "BDP-S1" and they have updated the firmware for years! One update made it possible to play BD-R and BD-RE, haven't had an update for a while now! I guest with "CINIVIA" there won't be anymore for this player!

MAINEMAN and GREGIBOY, both know alot about media players and I have followed and read and wrote down most of there info for a while! Now with your info and your "clicky" I have a better understanding of things to come!

Just hope my Blu-ray player holds up until I can save up some paper to start looking for a purchase! I like the Dune Player from what I see and read! I do my Homework before I purchase anything! Took me three years before I built my first PC! I think it was GREGIBOY who told me not to waste my money on the i7 cpu, and the GTX550ti vedio card, I went with i5 2500k(OC) and the GTX 460 EVAG OC vedio card, saved alot of money and rig is very fast!

Once again thanks for the info "DIGIDAVE" really appreciate it! (disabled old dog at 52)

Comment

Dvd to Blu-ray

That's exactly what it means. It's called "Hot Swappable". I also have this for Hard Drives. Clicky While the hard drive still has space on it & I need to keep going back & forth between my computer & the Dune player, I use the Dune's HD bay. Once the HDD gets full I put it in the External HDD enclosure permanently. It is recommended that you use the HDDs that are 5900rpm sometimes called "Green" or "Energy Saving" hard drives. They produce less heat which is very important for the life of a HDD.

I have 2x HHD's that are 7200rpm's(seagates)1TB's sata III, would I need to change to the "Green" or "Energy Saving" HDD's at 5900rpm's? Would my HHD's still work in the docking station? Right now my HHD's are fan cooled, are they to fast and over heat easely?

As you can see I'm not very "TECH" savy, I just copy and paste part of your post, but don't know how to put it in a box like you did!

Trying to get an understanding on the HDD's! When you buy them, do they come with an External HDD enclosure! I bought my HDD's from FRY's and they were internal HDD's without encloseures! Info again would be appreciated once again!
                  Last edited by 8855A; 04-08-2012, 02:36 AM. Reason: change type mistake

Comment

As you can see I'm not very "TECH" savy, I just copy and paste part of your post, but don't know how to put it in a box like you did!
                    When you open up a new message box, click on the little icon just above the box & to the right of the "Add Image" icon. Then paste the copied words between the [Quote] tags.

Trying to get an understanding on the HDD's! When you buy them, do they come with an External HDD enclosure! I bought my HDD's from FRY's and they were internal HDD's without encloseures! Info again would be appreciated once again!
                    No they do not. You want to use the slower rpm drives to cut down on heat. Especially when you have 4 in 1 unit. Even though that unit is fan cooled, it will get really hot. When I first got my Dune I had it set up to go into standby mode when I hit the off button. I went to take out the HDD & it was to hot to handle because it doesn't shut down completely. That's so it can be accessed through the network even when the Dune is off. I now have the Dune shut down completely in order to shut down the HDD completely. It takes longer to start up though.

Comment

Dvd to Blu-ray

Thanks Digidave, working on trying to put your post in the box!

Comment

Working...
                      X