Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I run 2 versions of DVD Fab

I would like to run DVD Fab version 8.1.3.2 for rips from DVD to .avi

I would also like to run the latest version for ripping DVDs to .ISO files.

Al the moment I have to uninstall one the current version and then reinstall the version I want to change to and restart the computer. If I don't it just hangs. I have tried installing to separate named directories, but this does not work. Only the last installed version will run.

Thanks

Hi davecuk
    Here is an old post of mine
    TRY THISDuring install when the screen comes up for destination folder C:\Program Files\DVDFab 8xxxQT and start menu folder DVDFab 8xxx, I change the blue from DVD Fab 8xxxQT, and add115 or whatever version you are installing after the 8, which will allow me to have more than one version installed, right now I have 14 versions of 8 installed and 1 of version 7 running, it will put an icon on your desktop after installing that version but, you will have to rename the DVD Fab 8QT new icon to DVD Fab 8115QT or what ever the version that you have just installed.
    Just right click the icon and click rename.
    Hope this helped
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I have tried the above, I even tried creating user accounts to have one version installed for one user and one for another in Windows Vista. It simply doesn't work.

The currently installed version is the only one that will run (after a reboot), the previous version simply fails to start properly and returns the DVD Fab error screen. I suspect each version asks for a reboot for a good reason and that the registry points to certain files required to run DVD fab, if they are not the right ones, it simply shuts down.

I have been trying without success for months and I am not a computer newbie.

I wouldn't have to do this if the rip to avi .mp3 function didn't run the audio out of sync, but on all versions after 8.1.3.2 it does and hence I need to use 8.1.3.2 to produce these .avis for my Archos.

Comment

Hi davecuk
        Are you saving the installers to a download folder and right clicking the installer and installing as administrator?

I too am running Vista and have no problem, see my pic of just a few of the versions installed and running.

CBR929
        Attached Files
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

FYI
          I just opened V 8073 V 8085 and V 8181 and all three are running as we speak and listed with the correct Version Number.

I do not have a clue why you are having the problem but maybe one of the developers will post with a solution.

Comment

Do you have this box checked?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I have tried everything. Each time I move from the latest version to 8.1.3.2 it asks for a reboot after each install. After this reboot whatever version I did have installed no longer works, only the last installed version.

When I try and run the second version I did have installed, it just drops to the standard DVD Fab has encountered a problem screen, but there is nothing within the logs.

I have tried without success and simply have no idea why this happens, obviously other people can run multiple versions, I have no idea why I cannot..

Comment

I have a couple old versions installed on an old, old 256MB USB drive, perfect use for that dinosaur. I create the directory on the drive and install unchecking all the create icon boxes so it installs without icons. I browse to the just installed folder and right click the DVDFab application and create a shortcut, it is created in the just installed folder, rename it to the version just installed and drag and drop it to the desktop. I have three versions installed each with its own desktop icon. If you leave the boxes checked to create a desktop icon only the last version installed will load from the icon. If you have a version currently installed there is no need to reboot after installing the second version.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

If I don't reboot only the version I have working currently works, the other one doesn't, when I reboot, then the version I just installed works and the other one doesn't dropping to the standard DVD Fab has had a problem and had to close.

I am wondering if there are some registry entries I need to clean out somewhere, or some files I don't know about from much earlier versions that need to be removed. This only seems to happen with the QT versions?

Comment

I found a solution that works for me and may help anyone else with the same problem. I installed a sandbox program called "sandboxie". It allows me to install the latest version of DVD Fab within the sandbox, whilst maintaining an install of 8.1.3.2 for ripping .ISO to .avi xvid on my machine. Even better the sandbox created can be close to free up memory and reopened again at a later date whenever the latest DVD fab is required.

There appears to be little or no performance hit, but ultimately I may have to install the older program within the sandbox as more DVDs have protection that needs newer versions.

The only downside is that all files created by the program in the sandbox, go to virtual drives within the sandboxed area of the HD and have to be copied out to the non sandboxed drive.

Comment

Glad you found a workaround but it should not be necessary, as you can see from the other responses in this thread. Possibly an oddity in the OS or security settings on your machine.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                      X