GPU not always used during compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU GPU not always used during compression

For a study I am working on, I have been comparing GPU compression efficiency on several types of GPUs: GTX460, GTX570 and GTS250 and I noticed that occassionally, the GPU is not used and was wondering why. For example, the following image shows a BD-R compression using a GTX460. 152.m2ts was compressed using GPU and so was 167.m2ts but it seems that 148.m2ts was re-encoded using the CPU only (note the 12 minute interval). This can be observe by looking at the temperature graph that shows the GPU colored in orange and 4 CPUs shown under it at lower temperature. The temperature of the GPU drops indicating it is not being used for about 12 minutes, then it picks up again after 148 is processed.

Could it be that this section of the movie did not need any compression or were the CPUs used for re-encoding during this time? If the CPU was actually being used for re-encoding, is there any way I can force DVDFab to use the GPU all the time?

What is the difference between encoding and re-encoding?

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by BeemerBiker; 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM.

Hi BeemerBiker:
    What's the mean of re-encoding?
    Do you mean the "remaster"?
    During the remaster process, DVDfab using CPU mostly, and GPU less.
    There is NO way to use the GPU all the time sicne fab can't analyze all of video stream accurately.

Thanks,
    Potti

Comment

Originally posted by Potti View Post
      Hi BeemerBiker:
      What's the mean of re-encoding?
      Do you mean the "remaster"?
      During the remaster process, DVDfab using CPU mostly, and GPU less.
      There is NO way to use the GPU all the time sicne fab can't analyze all of video stream accurately.

Thanks,
      Potti
      Thanks!

I have preliminary results of my study and I am putting together some albums with my data on your forum here. Preliminary results show that for compression purposes, a stock GTX460 class GPU is slightly better than a Quad 9550 Intel CPU with no CUDA enabled. When I get everything finished I will post it somewhere at this forum. I do not have anything faster than a GTX570. I have a pair of HD5850 but those seem useless as they do not support CUDA.

Comment

Post this in the Knowledge Base forum.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X