This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can DVDFab retain menu funtionality?

In other words, if I wanted to convert my dvd collection to a digital format, is there a way for DVDFab to both copy the menu options from that dvd, and have the entire file still function like a dvd would (ie. you can select specific chapters to watch, rather than have to go through the entire program to get there)?

I would really appreciate help on this. I'm truly hoping that there's a way to convert my collection to digital and still have it work like a dvd. Otherwise, what's the point of being able to download the menus?

This will depend on whether your player can read the IFO files. By default, DVDFab preserves the menu in all DVD Copy modes except Main Movie and Merge, whether you write it to a VIDEO_TS folder or to an ISO file. Check to see if your player lists IFO as a supported file type, if not, get one that does if you want the menus to work.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you, signals.

Let me ask a follow up question. Let's say I wanted to convert my dvds to digital and upload them to, say, iTunes or so that I could watch them through apple tv, or my cell phone, or whatever. Would I need to save the IFO files only, or the IFO file AND the copied dvd media file? I'm not quite sure.

Comment

That will not work in any shape or form.

No menu support for these types of files/players.

Originally posted by Martman View Post
        Thank you, signals.

Let me ask a follow up question. Let's say I wanted to convert my dvds to digital and upload them to, say, iTunes or so that I could watch them through apple tv, or my cell phone, or whatever. Would I need to save the IFO files only, or the IFO file AND the copied dvd media file? I'm not quite sure.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You would need to convert the DVDs to MP4 files with DVD Ripper to play them on Apple players. As Gregiboy said, no menus.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Digital Format

Originally posted by Martman View Post
            In other words, if I wanted to convert my dvd collection to a digital format, is there a way for DVDFab to both copy the menu options from that dvd, and have the entire file still function like a dvd would (ie. you can select specific chapters to watch, rather than have to go through the entire program to get there)?

I would really appreciate help on this. I'm truly hoping that there's a way to convert my collection to digital and still have it work like a dvd. Otherwise, what's the point of being able to download the menus?
            Hello,

Martman was talking about Converting his DVD Collection to a Digital Format.

What is he talking about ????

Can somebody help me with this.

Comment

Only if you are prepared to listen this time.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by ordman View Post
                Hello,
                Martman was talking about Converting his DVD Collection to a Digital Format.
                What is he talking about ????
                Can somebody help me with this.
                Martman couldn't have been speaking literally since DVD's are already in a digital format-so you need to read the rest of what he was saying to understand what he means. In this case it sounds like he was talking about converting them to a different format (filetype) that could be copied to different devices. That's not too difficult (with DVDFab), but doing so while retaining the menus is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pchelp View Post
                  Martman couldn't have been speaking literally since DVD's are already in a digital format-so you need to read the rest of what he was saying to understand what he means. In this case it sounds like he was talking about converting them to a different format (filetype) that could be copied to different devices. That's not too difficult (with DVDFab), but doing so while retaining the menus is the problem.
                  Yes, you are probably right, a different format.

Here is a Part of what he said,

I'm truly hoping that there's a way to convert my collection to digital and still have it work like a dvd. Otherwise, what's the point of being able to download the menus?

Do you understand by what he means by "Download The Menus" ???

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                    Only if you are prepared to listen this time.
                    Are you HERE to HELP people, or to Snipe at them ???????

But since YOU brought it up, if you go back and LISTEN to what I SAID,
                    you will realize that your response had very little to do with the Reuest the I asked for.

Comment

I assure you that I haven't spent my OWN, UNPAID time posting 5000+ posts of this forum sniping at people but have spent most of my time assisting people with less knowledge than me transition through the tecnological minefield associated with digital media.

I am sure some of the users that I have assisted will testify to this or perhaps I'm wrong. Let's see.

To try to fully answer what you have been asking, I will try to be concise and brief.

I suggest that you read it thoroughly and come back with any valid questions once you have.

1. Fab can produce copies of disks (both DVD and Blu-Ray) that contain all the menu information and can reduce these to 4.3Gb and 25Gb respectively with SOME quality loss or at 8.5Gb and 50Gb respectively with NO quality loss and save them as a disk image.

2. It is then entirely dependent upon which device that you wish to play these whether the menus/titles are available. Most iPhones, iPads, iPods will NOT be able to play these disk images at all.

3. There are hard disk Media Players that will play these disk images, some better than others to a TV through HDMI.

Most will play the DVD Menus fine but will only play BR menus in a simple fashion or not at all.

As you see from the numbers above, quite a bit of storage space is taken up using this method.

4. Fab "Ripper" modules can produce various digital formats that are playable by most players, with little if any, loss of quality, and a 8.5Gb DVD can be reduced to about 1.5Gb.

5. Using this method only the main title is transcoded into the file and NO MENUS are available. You have to rely on the playing and cataloguing capabilities of your playing device.

6. Most modern devices have quite sophisticated options within their playing and cataloguing model (for example. my current Media Players allow me to maintain a full graphical jukebox with all the title details, change audio and subtitle tracks on the fly and I therefore have no need of menus). the iPig range of products maintain something similar through their iTunes library management of your media files.

One of the most accepted file tipes (container) MKV, has had the ability to contain menus embedded within it but no one has implemented it in the 6+ years that I have been using it due to either lack of interest or lack of need.

I hope this helps and I still suggest that you revise your attitude and remove the chip on your shoulder as you will receive far more assistance.

Best Regards

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                        I assure you that I haven't spent my OWN, UNPAID time posting 5000+ posts of this forum sniping at people but have spent most of my time assisting people with less knowledge than me transition through the tecnological minefield associated with digital media.

I am sure some of the users that I have assisted will testify to this or perhaps I'm wrong. Let's see.

To try to fully answer what you have been asking, I will try to be concise and brief.

I suggest that you read it thoroughly and come back with any valid questions once you have.

1. Fab can produce copies of disks (both DVD and Blu-Ray) that contain all the menu information and can reduce these to 4.3Gb and 25Gb respectively with SOME quality loss or at 8.5Gb and 50Gb respectively with NO quality loss and save them as a disk image.

2. It is then entirely dependent upon which device that you wish to play these whether the menus/titles are available. Most iPhones, iPads, iPods will NOT be able to play these disk images at all.

3. There are hard disk Media Players that will play these disk images, some better than others to a TV through HDMI.

Most will play the DVD Menus fine but will only play BR menus in a simple fashion or not at all.

As you see from the numbers above, quite a bit of storage space is taken up using this method.

4. Fab "Ripper" modules can produce various digital formats that are playable by most players, with little if any, loss of quality, and a 8.5Gb DVD can be reduced to about 1.5Gb.

5. Using this method only the main title is transcoded into the file and NO MENUS are available. You have to rely on the playing and cataloguing capabilities of your playing device.

6. Most modern devices have quite sophisticated options within their playing and cataloguing model (for example. my current Media Players allow me to maintain a full graphical jukebox with all the title details, change audio and subtitle tracks on the fly and I therefore have no need of menus). the iPig range of products maintain something similar through their iTunes library management of your media files.

One of the most accepted file tipes (container) MKV, has had the ability to contain menus embedded within it but no one has implemented it in the 6+ years that I have been using it due to either lack of interest or lack of need.

I hope this helps and I still suggest that you revise your attitude and remove the chip on your shoulder as you will receive far more assistance.

Best Regards
                        Do we have to go thru this again.

Your ABOVE response seemed to be very informative.

But here is a helpful HINT,
                        your resonse/Help should be about what the Person said or his Request.

Please Pay attention to what I have to say this time.

My Request was for,

I want to Copy my Blu Ray Disc to BD9 & BD5.

Not Because I want to Burn it to DVD.

But so I can watch it thru my Media Player to my Big Screen TV.

They say that they cannot convert a Blu Ray Menu to DVD Menu, but I am NOT asking for that.

All I am asking for is to be able to Compress a Blu Ray Disc to BD9 and BD5 with Menues.

What was your resonse,

If you understood the difference of how DVD and BR menus are authored, it may help.

In simplistic terms, DVD menus are authored by the use of video and hotspots whereas BR menus use a combination of this and Java programming which is extremely difficult to convert.

You talked about Authored menus etc.

If you look above I did NOT say that I wanted to Author or convert the Menus.

You also mentioned somthing about cataloging my Videos.

My request was for, to keep my Menues etc on my Blu Ray Disc, so I could watch it on my Media Player.

It was NOT for cataloging my Videos, or for Converting it to a MKV.

Again it had nothing to do with my Request......

Again WHAT was my Request.......

All I am asking for is to be able to Compress a Blu Ray Disc to BD9 and BD5 with Menues.

That was my Request.

And when I brought that to your attention, here is what you told me,

With your attitude, lack of understanding and inability to read what is said, don't hold your breath waiting for further assistance or development of product.

So here is my suggestion.

The next time you want to Help/Assist somebody READ & LISTEN to what the Person says.

First Respond, to what the person said.

Second, then ADD something else that pertains to his ISSUE, or something that you feel is needed.

Third, Please treat the People you HELP with more Respect than you have given me.

Comment

This is a free help forum for friendly advice.

If need specific information about features in the software you should e-mail DVDfab directly.

Yikes!

Comment

I give up!!!

@Ordman, you obviously have your head where the sun does not shine.

A. It is not possible to translate BR Menus to DVD Menus and most probably never will. This is what is necessary for what you want.
                            B. Get over it and learn to use your media player as it was intended to be used.
                            C. Please purchase another product other than Fab so that we do not have to put up with your B/S here.
                            Last edited by GregiBoy; 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

ordman; reading back through this thread you seem to have a lack of understanding of digital media files.

I think if you start a new thread with some very concise questions, without the attitude, you will garner more helpful responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X