Very basic resolution question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very basic resolution question.

Hi, Still trying to get my head round some very basic stuff.

When I put a dvd in and select mkv remux I thought this was almost a 1 1 copy but in to mkv format.

Why does it select 720 x 388 as the screen res but list 1024 x 522 as the original. Why would it not select the biggest screen res

Check one of the original movie VOB files with MediaInfo, if it says 1024xanything, it is not a DVD-Video authored title. Should say 720x480 for NTSC or 720x576 for PAL. I don't use remux, but it should not change the streams (or allow you to) AFAIK.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

media info has vob as 720 x 576. Why does dvdfab list 1024 as original. It seems to be doing this for all my dvd films.

in video effect settings
      STREETDANCE2: Title(59), Play Time(01:21:27)
      Original Frame Resolution (1024 x 576)
      Original Aspect Ratio (1.78:1)
      Cropped Aspect Ratio (1.86:1)
      Source Zoom: 51%
      Output Zoom: 80%
      Output Size: 720 x 406
      mkv remux - not able to change the stream bit rate but can change resolution (aspect ratio)

Comment

The crop page text does not show the MPEG-2 frame size (as it is on the disc) but the decoded video (as it will be on the screen). Remux still should not allow you to change the size or show you more than one size on the frame size list since it does not re-encode the video and therefore can't change it in any way. I just tried it and it only had a single entry. The output MKV had the same size as the original in MediaInfo. It may behave differently with PAL, I have no idea. Maybe someone else in one of the PAL lands can give us a clue how it behaves for them. I am using v8.2.1.8.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Another question.

If using a generic mkv why does making the screen resolution bigger also increase the bit rate or the fixed file size. Surely the bit rate or the fixed file size should be fixed on the setting I have created.

Comment

Basic laws of physics, you can't make something out of nothing.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

What I mean is, if I have fixed file size set at 2gb and I change the screen res should dvdfab not adjust the bit rate to make the file size 2gb. What it actuallhy does is change my selected fixed size. Does that make sense?

Comment

Generic MKV and all other re-encoding profiles keep a constant value for bits/pixel as you change sizes, which is a better metric for video quality than bitrate, since if the bitrate is kept per the setting and the frame size is increased from 720x400 to 1280x720, the video quality will suffer. This is very different from remux, which you were asking about earlier.

Originally posted by ASnet0007 View Post
                Another question.

If using a generic mkv why does making the screen resolution bigger also increase the bit rate or the fixed file size. Surely the bit rate or the fixed file size should be fixed on the setting I have created.

Comment

Working...
                X