Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVDFab 8/9 not starting up after HD crash (very strange)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab 8/9 not starting up after HD crash (very strange)

This is very strange. I've been using various versions of HD Decrypter without any issues, the last version was 8.2.1.8. A little while ago, my primary HD crashed (actually a "SMART" drive failure error). Not my boot/apps drive, but a second drive that has the Swap and Temp files on it. I did not try using DVDFab until I got the crashed drive cloned. Around the same time, I also accepted a new video driver for my ATI/AMD HD-4650 video card, but still before my next use of DVDFab. I'm running Win7-x64.

Initially, I got a crash screen a few times, then nothing. Now, double-clicking on the DVDFab Icon doesn't do anything, but does update the "dvdfab_internal.log" file. I checked the log file, and most entries were blank. I tried different versions, 8.1.6.8, 8.2.1.8, 9.0.0.6/7, and still no joy. On one iteration, I went through the Registry, and deleted all references to DVDFab, but still no joy. Even more bizarre, is I tried to install Xilisoft Blu-Ray Ripper, and it too crash's. In both cases, there's no indication what's crashed, but its also funny that both are crashing. Something in common? Also, I'm getting "Bad System Directory" error on the Profile Editor (may be unrelated). All my other video conversion apps seem to be working (i.e. MakeMKV, tsMuxer, Vidcoder, etc.).

Of the four versions of DVDFab, at least 8.2.1.8 returns some log messages (but not all the time), such as:

DVDFab 8.2.1.8 (2012/11/10 02:01:34)

0m 05.46s: exception at _getmbcp
    0m 30.30s: exception at _getmbcp
    0m 30.30s: warning: invalid gpu detect handle

None of the other versions offer any messages. The "_getmbcp" error appears to be a "Returns the current multibyte code page" error. However, the "invalid gpu detect handle" kind of tells me that this may be related to the video drivers. Ever since the last ATI update, I'm also getting a "Kdbsync.exe not working" error, which I understand is also related to the video driver.

I Google'd the "Kdbsync.exe not working" error, and the concensus is to delete the driver, and let Windows reinstall it. That didn't work. I also uninstalled the complete driver package, and installed an earlier version that I thought worked, but that too still gives me the "Kdbsync.exe not working" error, and hasn't effected DVDFab's ability to run.

I might also add that I'm at the point that after trying many other packages, DVDFab is the one for me, but I must resolve this problem before I can continue.

Please help!
    Last edited by Will2; 11-13-2012, 01:43 AM. Reason: More info

This is undoutedly a driver issue for the card, it happens often with both AMD and nvidia and produces the same symptom you report. Could also be a remnant effect of your crash. Have you tried running a registry cleaner since you got things running again?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      This is undoutedly a driver issue for the card, it happens often with both AMD and nvidia and produces the same symptom you report. Could also be a remnant effect of your crash. Have you tried running a registry cleaner since you got things running again?
      Briefly, my setup is a primary 1TB drive (OS, apps, etc.) in several partitions, and two 2TB drives, where the 2nd drive's first two partitions are for the Swap file and Temp files. The rest of the 2nd and 3rd drives are for media. The "crash" actually first showed up when running Decrypter, where a "SMART" drive warning appeared. I can't say exactly when, because I was running Decrypter overnight, and unattended. It wasn't until the next day that I saw Decrypter had finished its job, but there was also the SMART warning. That particular decrypted Blu-Ray file was corrupted.

Apparently, the SMART function is a Western Digital method that determines that the drive is in eminent danger of crashing. The drive where Decrypter was writing to is also the same drive that has the Swap and Temp files on it. It's anyone guess what corrupted data was written, and what that effected, especially if it want back to the OS, or in the case of Decrypter, if the AMD drivers were being used while/for decoding. Decrypter is installed on the primary drive.

As I mentioned, after I had cloned the bad drive but before I ran Decrypter, I got and accepted an automatic ATI/AMD driver update. It was only after I was satisfied that things were apparently stable, that I tried to run Decrypter, and the rest is history.

As for running a registry cleaner, I actually did that after I manually cleaned the registry of all "DVDFab" entries. Of course, any unidentified (unnamed) keys that most likely exist, are still buried in their somewhere, unless the program uninstall function cleaned those out. I'm assuming probably not, but rightfully so for obvious reasons.

Comment

Resolved

For those that have ATI/AMD video cards, if you have this issue, check this AMD forum link for instructions on how to completely uninstall all ATI/AMD drivers and software (3rd item down).

Note that I also performed an additional step between steps 6 and 7, where I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled and removed all ATI drivers for the video card. Apparently, Windows automatically reinstall's generic ATI drivers on a reboot if there are no current drivers there. These generic drivers were dated something like 2/17/12.

Before continuing, you may want to visit AMD's website to be sure you have the latest driver.

Once cleaned, I reinstalled the latest driver, and all is back to normal, and Decrypter is now working again. Also, no "Kdbsync.exe not working" errors were seen.

Comment

Working...
        X