Won't open, update or uninstall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't open, update or uninstall...

As the title suggests, my DVDfab isn't doing anything right now. I'm using Win7 64 with AMD video. When I click the DVDfab exe it will not doing anything. You see the windows processing circle for a couple seconds and then nothing. Checking the taskmanager, you see that the dvdfab32 process is running, but no application listed.

I've tried the updates and they lock at what appears to be 99%. I tried uninstalling and it doesn't even reach 1% on the progress bar. I thought the MS Security Essentials might be the issue so I uninstalled it. I also uninstalled the AMD SDK as others have. I eventually even tried the 13.2 AMD driver beta. Tried installing DVDfab9 but got the same 99% progress lock, even though it shows up in the menu (still won't open). I used system restore to go back a couple weeks and SR wouldn't take.

Any ideas?

Do you have an AMD CPU?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I think it has something to do with permissions, mine will do that occasionally if I fail to right click on the installer and run as administrator. And I am the administrator on my computer, clicking run as administrator elevates permissions even so.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Tried this for opening, updating and uninstalling. Still nothing.

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
          I think it has something to do with permissions, mine will do that occasionally if I fail to right click on the installer and run as administrator. And I am the administrator on my computer, clicking run as administrator elevates permissions even so.

Comment

Hi rcwerner
            Did you use some sort of registry cleaner after uninstall?
            If not, use CCleaner found here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
            Use the cleaner option making sure that the Old Prefetch is checked in advanced options until nothing is found, then run the registry cleaner until nothing is found.
            Download a fresh installer from here for version 8 http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm and version 9 http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB9_BETA
            Do not install the installers, click save, then go to your download folder right click the installer and click run as administrator.
            Hope this helps
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Sad to report none of these steps helped. The installation is always stuck at the 'Finishling Installation' spot. Nothing happens. The processor is being used, but nothing happens. I can leave it for hours, and nothing. Unable to uninstall. I even tried renaming the program folder and installing, still stuck. Both 8 and 9 are in the menu but will not open still. I basically have two programs installed that won't work and I can't uninstall. CCleaner can't uninstall them either.

If they're not going to work, I would like them removed. Any ideas?

Comment

You might try starting Windows in safe mode and then removing/uninstalling the offending program(s). Press and hold F8 key before Windows begins to load.
                How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi rcwerner
                  Sorry to hear that you still having problems.

To me it sounds as if it's a permissions issue or a program is blocking the install.

Are you logged in as administrator?

Do you have an icon on your desktop for the Fab versions that your having problems with?
                  If so right click the icon, click properties, click security to check your permissions.

Here are a couple of programs that I use for problem programs Unlocker found here http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/ for deleting programs that are locked and will not let me uninstall.

Also Revo freeware found here http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html , I use the advanced option and make sure to check the bold options at the end of the uninstall process.
                  After Revo cleans the registry I run CCleaner and also clean the registry for leftovers.

A reboot my be required with both programs.
                  Hope this helps
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Compatability

I had the same problem and so I changed the compatibility to run under windows 7 and now loads fine each time

Comment

Sorry, newbie here. How do you change the compatibility to run under Win 7?

Comment

It is not a DVDFab setting, it's a windows tool. Right click on the installer file and select "Troubleshoot compatibility" and follow the steps in the wizard. It should not be necessary, I have never had to do it with DVDFab running in Win7 Pro.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                        X