This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused by video formats

Hi, I've just bought a big NAS and I'm about to start ripping DVD's and Blu-rays but can't decide on the best format to use.

Ideally I'd like all features to be copied over and particularly have the ability to switch subtitles on or off when playing.

So far the only way I've done that is a complete copy but even with a big NAS 50GB is a bit much for one movie. I want quality video and audio but not 50GB worth especially as sometimes I'll want to play on the iPad.

Should I perhaps be using .mkv as a container for all features and subtitles? Can I tell it to use mp4 and so get quality and compression? I've had little success with subtitles in my tests. I either get no subtitles or burnt on subtitles. Once I even got audio commentary somehow! As far as I know I didn't choose an audio track for that. In one test, I did save subtitle files but even when I told a media player (possibly VLC but I've tried loads) to load the subtitles, it still didn't show any.

Any advice much appreciated
    John.

I suggest mkv you can turn subs on and off and i get my rips under 2 gigs but mkv wont play on icrap
    Last edited by Jonatan; 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM.
    ...Death Before Dishonor...

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried a rip to mkv as a test. The only option I got for subtitles when ripping was to save to files (cdg/idx). I hoped they would get contained in the mkv file.

When I play with VLC and try to select subtitles, it wants me to open an external file which I don't have. In the DivX player I don't seem to get any option to show subtitles.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by AtkinsOnline View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

I just tried a rip to mkv as a test. The only option I got for subtitles when ripping was to save to files (cdg/idx). I hoped they would get contained in the mkv file.

When I play with VLC and try to select subtitles, it wants me to open an external file which I don't have. In the DivX player I don't seem to get any option to show subtitles.

John.
        What profile are you using?
        Try dvdfab media player its free

Comment

The profile for these tests was mkv.h264.aac

I did another test (before seeing your reply) and realised I had not selected a language track for the subtitles. I've had many goes at this, my first rips burnt the subtitles into the video which I don't really want.

This time sub and idx files were created. When I load those into VLC, it gives no error message and no subtitles. DivX player says the subtitle files are the wrong format.

I installed DVDFab Media Player as you suggested and it allows me to open the subtitle files but I get no error message and again see no subtitles.

This test was with 24 Series 2. I get 6 MKV files plus 6 x 2 subtitle files. Assuming I can get the subtitles to work at some point, is there any way of getting all those files into one MKV file?

John.

Comment

Mkv h 264audio copy and just put a check on subs you want

Ok i did some digging read this thread http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...ghlight=forced
            Read post #6
            I only use forced subs
            Hope it helps
            Last edited by Jonatan; 03-28-2013, 02:55 PM.

Comment

AtkinsOnline, check out the "AVplayerHD" app for your iPad it may solve a few problems for you for 3 bucks.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Jonatan View Post
                Mkv h 264audio copy and just put a check on subs you want

Ok i did some digging read this thread http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.p...ghlight=forced
                Read post #6
                I only use forced subs
                Hope it helps
                Thanks a lot for that. I tried the profile you suggested and read the link. I've tried both with and without forced enabled but still no subtitles. The link did answer the all in one question. I'd have to perform another operation to mux the files together.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                  AtkinsOnline, check out the "AVplayerHD" app for your iPad it may solve a few problems for you for 3 bucks.
                  Thanks. I don't mind at all paying for software but in this case it does not look like it can stream from a NAS. Files have to be copied to the iPad. I have a few players that will stream successfully but without subtitles but that's not surprising when the files won't even play on a PC with subtitles!.

I've yet to find an iPad app that can play "raw dvd files" (VS_VIDEO folders). If I had that, I might just rip DVD's to DVD-5 so I get full content. At least they should play with subtitles on/off.

John.

Comment

This seems to be working ok now for most dvd's. I think I was possibly unlucky with the first two I chose to rip.

Thanks for everyone's help

John.

Comment

I think sometimes the auto-cropping cuts the subtitles especially when they appear in the black borders. I just turn cropping off and let it roll.
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Video appreared sideways

I downloaded a video from my I phone4. When I used DVD creator, the video appreared sideways and recorded at a fast speed. Any suggestions?

Comment

ghorn
                          Please start a new thread in the DVDFab Video Converter or DVD Creator forum for this problem (depending on which you were using).
                          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                          X