Best quality for streaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best quality for streaming?

I am a new user and will be moving my dvd library to a local server to be streamed to my smart tv. I'd like not to lose any quality over a standard dvd and when I see the list of conversion options within DVDFab 8, I am at a loss. I've been using generic.default but I have no idea if that is the best or the worst quality.

So, for my purposes, I don't want to make another dvd, but rather want to stream, what conversion should I choose?

Bob

The best choice depends on what file formats the TV will accept and what your network will suppport in terms of bitrates. All else being equal, VOB Passthrough makes a VOB file that contains the same video and audio streams as the original DVD. If that does not work or is too large, try one of the MP4 h264+aac profiles either in MP4 format or MKV if your TV will play them.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks, the tv is hardwired to the network so bandwidth is not an issue. The supported video formats are HERE

Excuse my naivete but, how does one create a VOB Passthrough file?

Comment

Firstly you use the RIPPER module of Fab, select the source and then select the format that you want by pressing the >> up arrow on the profile selection then choose VOB->Passthrough.

I must respectfully disagree with my good friend Signals on the alternative though. AAC Audio is awful and will not pass to most AV Amps over optical. It really is meant for all those brain-dead "Walking Dead" with iThingys!

Do not use it if you have any Home Theatre equipment or have any plans for such in the future!!

A far better option that provides untouched audio quality is one of the audio passthrough modes selecting the AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio track or the DTS track (Both of which your TV supports).

I would try the mkv.h264.audiocopy profile.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks GregiBoy

It's nice to see that even the experts disagree. Since I use optical out of the TV to a receiver which has nice stereo speakers I will try what you suggest. (But, in the Profiles drop-down, there is not a selection for VOB or Passthrough)

But, that leads to another question, I am assuming that this format yields stereo sound, am I wrong? Also, if I wanted 5.1 home theater sound am I out of luck?

Is there a primer some where on what these codes mean? I mean, who but the hardcore would know what mkv.h264.audiocopy means? Actually, it looks like a profile that will only copy the audio.

Comment

Let's go through them one by one...

On the right end of profile dropdown there is an "UP" arrow symbol ">>". Press this. This will take you to the profiles window with tabs across the top. Click on the "Format" Tab then choose "vob" in the left pane.

Voila!!! Ici!!

Next the sound.... The VOB will contain whatever sound tracks are in the title totally unchanged. The Audiocopy option will do this also.

If it's 2 Channel, it will be stereo, if it's 5.1, it'll be surround. You will have to tell your TV/Amp what to do with the signal if 5.1 as you only have stereo speakers. Usually there is something like a "Downmix" option on the TV and similar on the receiver. You will have to RTFM on your devices as I can only give you general advice here.

Now the codes.... Yeah, the resource is called the world wide web and google is your friend!!

Seriously, you will have to do like must of us old hands. Pick it up from experience and research. To help you along though, here's a quick and dirty.

Fab's profiles usually are named with this convention:-

[container].[video format].[audio format]

eg mkv.h264.audiocopy means the produced in MKV (Matroska) format in a MKV container with the video encoded using the H264 standard and the audio is copied unchanged.

Here is some examples:-

Container: MKV,MP4, AVI
            Video: H264, XVid
            Audio: AAC, MP3, Audiocopy, AC3

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by BobinNewHampshire View Post
            It's nice to see that even the experts disagree. Since I use optical out of the TV to a receiver which has nice stereo speakers I will try what you suggest. (But, in the Profiles drop-down, there is not a selection for VOB or Passthrough)

But, that leads to another question, I am assuming that this format yields stereo sound, am I wrong? Also, if I wanted 5.1 home theater sound am I out of luck?

Is there a primer some where on what these codes mean? I mean, who but the hardcore would know what mkv.h264.audiocopy means? Actually, it looks like a profile that will only copy the audio.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Also a word from the wise!!

Don't get too hooked up on using your SmartTV as a media player. Over the years I have found that the firmware that the manufacturers use is generally less than ordinary and I am sure that they only include their crappy playing software as marketing hype and Samsung is one of the worst.

I have found the navigation, playback compatability, need to have a uPnP server active all dark age crap and about 3-4 years behind current Media Player development.

If you start having any reservations about how usable the TV is as a player, just buy a proper media player for less than a hundred bux.

Fab has just released a set-top unit which I am currently testing. More to come on that over the following weeks after I get back home.

Comment

Are we talking the same product?

Attached is a screen image of my version of DVDFab. There is not an up arrow, rather it's a down arrow and I've shown all the choices it provides and it does not offer any tabs. What am I missing?

I appreciate the primer, I understand much better now. Trust me, I did go to Wikipedia and other places to no avail.

I hear you on using the tv as a media player, I also have a TiVO Premier box that I can use. They seem to be on top of it pretty well. But, for now, the Samsung with AllShare (server software on the PC) seems to work pretty well.

BTW, "RTFM" was a term invented by us at Lotus in the mid-80s. Extra credit if you know what "UBD" means...
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm using and referring to Version 9 as Version 8 will no longer be updated.

I will take you to task on the RTFM though!!!

We were using it in the 70's when I was a military surveyor and we were issued with totally new thingys from HP that were programmable handheld calculators and got told to write programs for astronomical surveying observations.

I'll try to get some credit here also. UBD = User Brain Damage although we used to use it to mean 'User Being Dickhead"!!!

Comment

Touche

You've been around as long as I have. Yes, UBD = User Brain Damage...

But, regarding the confusion with V8 versus V9, I clearly stated in my original post that I was using V8! I am downloading V9 right now and will let you know how it goes.

Much appreciated.

Bob

Comment

Let us know how you get on.

All feedback is good for the forum.

I prefer my second meaning of UBD!!!

PS: Sorry I missed the V8 comment. Alzheimers or might be the slow Meds?
                      Last edited by GregiBoy; 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Haha I knew you would chime in on this. My comments were offered not knowing anything about Bob's speakers or network. I still think unless you are listeniing with something more than the speakers built into the TV that 128 kbps AAC is perfectly adequate and makes the output files much smaller and less stressful on the network.

I will remind Bob that "Best" is subjective.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

You definitely have a point.

With so many of those ubiquitous iThingys around in the family, I now always encode with multiple tracks but I didn't want to confuse Bob at this stage.

That way you future proof the file...

Comment

Thanks, guys

I just downloaded V9 so I'll try the VOB in a side-by-side with the V8 setting Gregi suggested. I'll let you know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X