Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My AMD APP not used in DVDFab, but is used in Other Software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU My AMD APP not used in DVDFab, but is used in Other Software.

Let me begin by saying two things.

1. I LOVE your product, much more so than any of the others I've tried.

2. I hope I am posting this question in the right place. If not, please forgive me, and let me know where it belongs.

OK, all that said, I am trying to determine whether to buy your product, or the one by Other Software. I prefer yours in almost every way, especially the audiocopy feature you have that allows me to keep DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD tracks in the result, so we can get the full use of the nice Yamaha Home Theater system we invested in. No other product I have tried seems to provide this feature (or I'm just missing it). Anyway, this brings me to my one issue.

Your product is not allowing me to use the AMD APP I have on my system, giving me the error shown in the attached image. I of course don't know why, but my guess is because your software is looking at my AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 GPU and thinking it won't work with AMD APP.

But it does work with it. And here's the kicker. Other Software application recognizes it and uses it. And as you can imagine, the processing times aren't even close. Other Software processes my jobs light years faster with AMD APP than DVDFab does without it.

But I love your application. I am even trying to sell myself on buying it, even if it ends up taking me weeks/months longer to convert all our discs with it than it would with Other Software. But I just can't quite get past this one issue. Can you help me? Is there something keeping DVDFab from using my AMD APP (even though Other Software uses it just fine) that can be corrected, either on my end or yours? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CBR929; 05-19-2013, 01:20 AM. Reason: Forum rules

I hope I'm not being pushy, but does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

Comment

The HD 4250 is an old video chipset that really won't make much of a difference.

Have you tried turning on Lightning Recording to see the time and quality differences?

Comment

Thank you for your reply, and my apologies for taking so long to respond. I am brand new to this application, but if I am looking in the right spot, then that setting was already turned on by default. See the attached image, and let me know if that is what you are referring to.

I know the 4250 is a lower end GPU, but it does work with AMD APP, despite not being listed on their site as one of the GPUs that does (at least mine works with it). And like I said, in the other application I tried, the AMD APP is used, and the difference in processing times is significant. If it's not the AMD APP, then they simply wrote much faster processing software. And theirs has the additional work of converting the audio, which I don't do with DVDFab (that's a major reason I love DVDFab, since it allows me to keep the original audio unchanged, mainly the HD tracks - DTS and Dolby).

I don't know what else to try at this point. I just tried ripping The Sorcerer's Apprentice Blu-ray, a 1:49 length movie, using the mkv.h264.audiocopy profile. 45 minutes in it still had an estimate of just under 5 hours remaining, and then at the 147 minute mark, it crashed, with the following errors.

147m 37.21s: error: filter name(filter_mux_mkvmerge), type(128), id(11), get fatal exception
        147m 41.67s: terminate process
        147m 41.67s: error: filter name(filter_mux_mkvmerge), type(128), id(11), get fatal exception

I don't know if it's because it was taking so long (the issue in this thread), or if it was something else, but regardless, that is just entirely too long a ripping time for me, no matter how much I love this application.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would set the Decoder and Encoder all to software and leave the Lightning Recording checked.

Which CPU do you have and how much Ram?

Comment

I'll give that a try next. I have an AMD Phenom(tm) II N660 Dual-Core Processor, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s), and 4 GB RAM.

Comment

CPU/GPU My AMD APP not used in DVDFab, but is used in Other Software. Wow. Does that ever sound familiar...

I run an AMD HD-7770 and I had several email discussions with DVDFab support last year shortly after my purchase of v8 Blu-ray Copy.

They confirmed that AMD APP (aka ATI Stream) doesn't work: "It's the problem of AMD driver..." Even though my other video re-coding apps recognize and zoom right along using APP.

Attached is a screen shot (which I sent to DVDFab last year) showing zero GPU activity while converting a BD50 m2ts file to BD9-1080p. The four cores of my i7-3770K fluctuate 80-90%. Other apps run 5-10% CPU and 90-95% GPU.

When set for DXVA, the GPU runs ~50% while the CPU cores run 40-60%. A 32GB m2ts will compress down to BD9 in about 40 minutes.

I've confirmed the same for v9.

I'm of the regarded opinion that DVDFab has no interest in this AMD APP issue. So sad as I'd really like the GPU to handle the full task as well as them informing me "...the decoding speed of ATI Stream is not very faster than DXVA, but it should be more stable than DXVA."

So just set DVDFab for DXVA and turn off Lightning.

Cheers.
              Attached Files

Comment

You're to hung up on getting the ATI working. Your CPU has Quick Sync, if you get this configured and working it will give you a much bigger boost than your video card ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by martythebrit View Post
                  You're to hung up on getting the ATI working. Your CPU has Quick Sync, if you get this configured and working it will give you a much bigger boost than your video card ever will.
                  I tried running with all decoders/encoders set to software, and with Lightning checked, as you suggested in a previous post, but the processing time was pretty much the same.

As to this comment of yours I have quoted here about Quick Sync, were you saying that to me, or to the other person who replied? Because when I try to select the Quick Sync option, I get the same error I get when I try to select the AMD APP option. If you were saying that to me, do you know what I need to do to "get this configured and working", as you suggest? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dallas7 View Post
                    So just set DVDFab for DXVA and turn off Lightning.

Cheers.
                    I have not tried it with DXVA and Lightning turned off. I will try that, and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

The Quick Sync comment was to dallas7, you don't have it on your CPU.

I assume you have a notebook with that AMD CPU which isn't very fast. The CPU runs about the same speed as a 2.13GHz Pentium P6200.

Unfortunately you are severely under-powered for video processing.

Comment

Steeler
                        You have extracted the only information in dallas7's post that did not constitute a thread hijack. This type of confusion is why they are against the rules here. The Lightning Recoding feature is only active in Copy mode, not Ripper. Follow Marty's advice, it is always solid.
                        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks guys. Some more related questions, if you don't mind.

1. Why would ripping a Blu-ray using the mkv.h264.audiocopy profile take twice as long as ripping the same Blu-ray with the m2ts.audiocopy.fast profile?

2. If I wanted to buy a new graphics card for my laptop, can you recommend one that will work with my CPU that will give the best GPU acceleration that DVDFab uses?

3. I created a custom profile with a Preset of M2TS Fast, but when I went back in to look at it, the Preset was set back to ABR Fast again. How do I get the Preset to remain what I selected in my custom profile?

4. What is the WD High Quality Preset for (what does it give you)?

While mkv files are the more comprehensive format, the fact that I can rip m2ts files twice as fast, they play better on my players (WD TV Live and Sony BDP-S590), and I can get everything but chapters with them (the effect of which is minimized by WD TV Live's Skip to Desired Time feature), it seems like ripping m2ts files is what will work best for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

1. I imagine if it says 'fast' in the profile the quality will be lower but the encode speed faster.

2. You can't change your video card in your laptop.

3. Anyone?

4. It's tailored to the Western Digital media player in better quality.

m2ts are mpeg2 files, MKV are mpeg4 generally.

MKV's do support chapters, I'm not sure though if DVDFab can do this.
                            Last edited by martythebrit; 05-24-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

1. Re-encoding!!
                              2. Agree. Cannot change
                              3. NFI without more details
                              4. Correct

Fab can create chapter marks.
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X