Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roman or Romany is not Romanian

Hello,

in DVDfab 9.0.4.5 when you add an external subtitle, there is no Romanian in language listing. There is Roman however. That is actually Romany and Romany is gypsies language. They are a minority in Romania and in other countries. The most important thing is do not confuse Romanian with Romany.

Romanian is the official language of Romania, a country with 23 millions people, and Republic of Moldova, a country with 4 millions people, both in Eastern Europe. Romany is official language of gypsies and is a minority with less that 1 million people. Abbreviation for Romany is ROM, abbreviation for Romanian is RUM.

Romanian is encoded with ISO-8859-2.

Thank you in advance for correcting the language listing.
    Best regards
    Vlad

Hi wraymogg

I will make the staff aware of this when the office opens in a few hours, thanks for the tip and your support. It may require a few releases to make all the necessary changes and generate the new language files.

I have heard the Romani people prefer not be called "gypsies" any longer.

Regards,
    Signals
    Mariska Veres fan
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thank you for looking into that.

Indeed their minority leaders do not prefer to be called "gypsies". Actually this is why they invented in the late 90s the name Romani. If your name is Jack the Ripper would you not prefer to be called John Romani ?

Kidding aside, i didn't called them gypsies from racism, but to be able to explain who are them, because Romani is a new term invented in late 90s and people still know them by their 1500 years long name - gypsies. I bet 95% of western people do not know who Romani are... actually in all the televised shows they say Romani are Romanians. I wonder what Dutch or French people would have said if they would have chose to name themselves Dutchy or Parisi or Frenchy.

Best regards
      Vlad
      Last edited by wraymogg; 06-23-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X