strange and annoying behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange and annoying behaviour

I have been experiencing an annoying behaviour when installing the last few versions of DVDFab, never happened with V8 and not sure, can't remember, if it happened with the earliest versions of V9 but has definitely been a constant problem with the last several releases.

The problem is the install removes most of the short cuts I have on my taskbar, Win7 x64. It's not a major problem, more a pain in the backside, as I have quite a few short cuts that I have to go through the ritual of replacing every time.
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if there is a known fix for the problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And I just want to add that 9.0.6.3 start up time is a huge improvement to the very slow start up I was experiencing with 9.0.6.0, which is very pleasing

I do not experience this, but I only have 2-3 shortcuts on the taskbar. Same OS. I do not recall anyone else mentioning it.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Yeah it's odd, when I look in the folder where the short cuts are stored they are all still there,[ C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar ].
      It doesn't remove all of them, some stay put, but most of them disappear.
      As I said it's not really a big deal, it's just really strange and I can't work out why it would be happening. That's why I was wondering if any one else has the same experience, to maybe find a common denominator.
      Anyway, gives me something to do for 5 mins replacing them all.

Comment

I've had a similar problem in the past and it was tied in with this:-

Resolve issues where Desktop Shortcuts are missing or have been deleted.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks GregiBoy,
          I'll turn that off next time I install a new version and see if it does the trick.

Comment

I just tried that to see if it fixed the problem, unfortunately it didn't.

Oh well back to the drawing board, anyway thanks for the suggestion and if I work out what is the cause of the problem I'll post it here.

Comment

I'm running the same OS and I haven't had any problems with DVDFab either.

But the symptoms you describe are familiar to me and I can think of several things which can cause this to happen.

1) - Corruption on your drive. If your system is not on a battery backup (UPS System), then any crashes or sudden shutdown (same thing basically) usually causes corruption to the hard drive. Most people don't realize this because they are so used to running newer versions of windows.

Corruption can easily be fixed by going into Windows explorer and right click on your C: drive select Properties > Tools > then click the "Check Now" button for Error-checking. When the dialog box pops up for Check Disk Options, all you need to do is make sure the first option is selected then click the "Start button"

It'll tell you that the drive is in use and ask if you would like to schedule a disk check after the next re-boot. Select "yes" then close everything up and reboot the system.

2) - If you're using CCleaner on your system, especially to make sure that you have a clean installation each time with DVDFab, then this can be the culprit if incorrectly configured or if you're using an older version (don't recall what version) from roughly a year or so ago, there was a few builds which would do exactly this when run. But even with current builds of CCleaner, I believe this can happen if incorrectly configured.

3) - It's possible that you might have something running in the background on your system that shouldn't be there which could be affecting your system.

Comment

Hi ゲゲゲの鬼太郎

Corruption isn't the problem, I do a check after each time it happens and it comes up fine.

But you might have hit the nail on the head with CCleaner, and funnily enough I've had a thought late yesterday it may be linked to that. In fact last night before I retired for the day I went through it's settings and noticed "Task Bar Jumplists" was ticked to clean, so I've taken the tick out of that.
                I haven't got time to try a reinstall of Fab right now, early morning here and I have to go out for several hours soon, but I will try later in the day.
                I'll post the outcome later.

Comment

No, CCleaner doesn't seem to be the problem either, unfortunately.

Comment

Just want to report that the problem I was having, as explained in this thread, has been fixed with the release of 9.1.0.5.
                    Which of course is great and saves me time having to go through the whole drama after every update. The only unfortunate thing is not knowing the reason it was happening, I hate when a computer problem fixes itself before I can discover the cause.
                    Anyway thumbs up to 9.1.0.5 I say.

Comment

Working...
                    X