Problems after BluFab failed uninstall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems after BluFab failed uninstall?

I have a computer where I had mistakenly installed BluFab before DVDFab 9.1.3.6 came out and existing users were told to stick with DVDFab. Apparently the BluFab uninstall did not complete successfully since it was still showing in "Programs and features" and when I clicked uninstall again windows said something like "This program can't be found, do you want to remove it from the list". After installing DVDFab 9.1.3.6, the program opens but it can't open any discs, first it doesn't automatically see there's a disc in the drive but if I manually click the plus and point it to the drive I get the message "Failed to open D:\ Please check if it's playable".

At the moment this is my oldest computer (running Windows 7) and I still have DVDFab versions 7 and 8 installed on this system and DVDFab 8 works fine; open's the disc and copies no problem. I've tried uninstalling Fab 9, rebooting and searching the registry and removing any reference to BluFab (there were only two keys) and reinstalling but I still have the same problem where 9 can't open discs that Fab 8 opens just fine.

Any idea's how to fix this?

- Norm

Well seen nobody has had a go....

Greetings Norm.
    I am no expert Norm but I do have some suggestions....
    (1) check the forum. If I remember correctly there is some mention of a change being made in one of the Fab files that needs to be changed back. Someone, mabye a admin can point out the thread in question. If you are do it yourself person then:
    (2) (a) Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall DVDFab 9 and your personal preferences. Use CCleaner to do a registry sweep. Reboot (b) Reinstall Bluefab. (c) repeat part (a) With Blufab as the target program and (d) reinstall DVDFab 9.
    (Disclamer: I am sure there will be someone out there who will scoff at this and have a better way. Reread "I am no expert" )
    Good luck
    HTH

Comment

DVDFab v9 Problems after BluFab failed uninstall?

I found the thread with the mention of the config file that needed to be edited which I did, but I've still got the same problem. DVDFab 9.1.3.6 can't open discs giving the "Failed to open / Check is the disc is playable" error while version 8.2.3.0 has no problems opening discs.

Does anyone have some idea's here on how to fix this?

- Norm

Comment

A little help here please!

I've reinstalled / uninstalled BluFab and DVDFab then rebooted and then reinstalled DVDFab and I'm still not able to open any discs.

Let me reiterate this problem:

First my Blu-ray drive is listed in Common settings / drives and I now have the latest official release 9.1.3.8 installed.

When DVDFab is open and I insert a disc I get an autoplay message from Windows asking me what program I want to use to open the disc and I cancel this message but DVDFab never detects that a disc has been loaded.

When I click the "+" to load a source and the source is a Blu-ray disc I get the window "Open Blu-ray source: D:\" and the disc never opens; I've left the dialog open for an hour and the open process never completes. If the source is a DVD I then get the Message "Failed to open D:\ Please check if it's playable".

As I've said in my previous message, if I close DVDFab 9 and open either DVDFab 7 or 8 the disc opens fine so this is not a disc or hardware problem but something wrong with DVDFab that was caused by the failed uninstall of BluFab.

I'm sorry to be so pointed but can someone please help me out here, Dora, Geilee, Wilson Wang since it's been two weeks since I started this thread and I haven't gotten any help. If there is something about this topic that is "sensitive" given recent events then please private message me.

Thanks,

- Norm

Comment

You have received good suggestions from HTH, if you need specific attention from one of the staff, use the link of the website to obtain it.
          • Uninstall any DVDFab or BluFab v9 that you currently have installed using the uninstaller that comes with the product.
          • Run a registry cleaner, being careful to leave the entries for v8 alone if you want to keep using it. Reboot your PC.
          • Install v9.1.3.8, reboot your PC and report the results.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Easiest way to fix your problem would have been to do a System Restore to a restore point from before you installed BluFab.

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

It's been 16 days since you first started this thread and you didn't specify what day you installed BluFab on.
            If you decide to do a System Restore, let's hope that you have an old enough restore point available at this time.

If not, you should be able to cancel the restore before selecting a restore point.

Comment

LOL

Funny that both me and Signals posted at the same time.

My suggestion of using System Restore is only because of the trouble you seem to be having. Otherwise I would not have suggested such action.

Good Luck

Comment

Good suggestions are always welcome, I did not offer it as a first solution since it might effect other applications on the OP's machine, depending on the age of the restore point. It would be easier and faster than what I suggested however.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi Norm@Home
                  Have you tried going into your computers settings and disable the autoplay settings?
                  Set them to do nothing when a disc is inserted into the drive.
                  Hope this helps
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

I suppose that the issue (DVDFab does not read disc automatically) should be caused by other unknown reason.
                    DVDFab and BluFab should be work normally that no matter uninstall DVDFab or BluFab. DVDFab and BluFab should read disc automatically that no matter the auto play is turn on or turn off.
                    Would you please try the clean uninstall and re-install as signals's suggestions in #5?
                    Please post the new result and attach the log file.

Thanks!

Wilson
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

DVDFab v9 Problems after BluFab failed uninstall?

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                      I suppose that the issue (DVDFab does not read disc automatically) should be caused by other unknown reason.
                      DVDFab and BluFab should be work normally that no matter uninstall DVDFab or BluFab. DVDFab and BluFab should read disc automatically that no matter the auto play is turn on or turn off.
                      Would you please try the clean uninstall and re-install as signals's suggestions in #5?
                      Please post the new result and attach the log file.

Thanks!

Wilson
                      Hi All,

I'm sorry to have taken so long to answer but I've been completely down the last week with a chest cold and sinus infection.

All I can say is that Fab 9.1.x didn't have this problem before the failed BluFab uninstall and it did afterward.

As I had previously said, I have tried uninstalling / rebooting / reinstalling at least six times if not more and the problem had continued.

I tried it again today (uninstall / reboot / reinstall) and now DVDFab 9.1.3.8 works and I honestly can say that there was no difference between this time and any of the others. I haven't used my system other than to check email briefly (before falling back into a semi-comatose state) the last week and no one but me uses it i.e. I keep a separate spare for my girlfriend, visiting friends and relatives to use.

Sorry to have put everyone to such trouble but this was a most annoying problem.

- Norm

Comment

Working...
                      X