Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfering files from desktop via flashdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Transfering files from desktop via flashdrive?

I back up a blu-ray disc either in iso file or convert it to Mkv then I've tried to transfer it from my desktop computer using a 128 GB PNY flash drive to play in my Media player in my living room I get a prompt saying that my file is too large for the destination file system? I have not been able to copy and paste any file 5 GB or larger to the flash drive? Item type is Avchd video? Can I tranfer this type of file using a flash drive? How?

Most of these devices use the FAT32 file system which does not support files larger than 4GB minus 1 byte. The FAT32+ file system will support Blu-ray size ISOs but your jump drive would need to be reformatted. If your Blu-ray is made up of many small m2ts files (smaller than the 4GB limit) you could store it as a folder but not as an ISO.

The exFAT file system will also support large files, but you must make sure first that it is supported by your playback device (and it is not supported on all versions of Windows, e.g. for XP it must be SP1 x64 or later etc).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Signals,
      You are talking Greek to me. Sorry. How can I take a Blu-ray movie and back it up on my desk top computer than transfer it with a 128 Gb usb flashdrive and play it on my PIOs media player? I have copied and pasted a few items larger than 4 gb but none have been HD audio or video?

Comment

Sorry, it is a complicated situation. The answer is you probably can't, but it depends. It has to do with the way your USB jump drive is formatted, which controls the maximum allowed file size. You could re-encode it using the Ripper module to a size smaller than 4GB. An ISO is viewed by the drive as a single file, so in most cases it will not work. You can check your flash drive to see how it is formatted by right clicking on it in My Computer and selecting Properties at the bottom of the list.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Format the flash drive to NTFS and give it a go.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

In properties it is FAT32. How do I reformat to NTFS? I'm a novice for this kinda thing.

Comment

Connect the flash drive, in "computer" right click on the flash drive and select FORMAT. Click the drop menu (down arrow) and select NTFS.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Like so:
                Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

2 more ? before I do. Should I have the drive empty before reformatting? I would think so right? Also if this doesn't work can I go back and reformat to the original format?

Comment

Originally posted by unclebubbies View Post
                    2 more ? before I do. Should I have the drive empty before reformatting? I would think so right? Also if this doesn't work can I go back and reformat to the original format?
                    Hi unclebubbies
                    The answers are Yes, Yes and Yes...
                    Last edited by CBR929; 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM.
                    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

To reformat to NFTS what allocation unit size should i choose?

Comment

Choose the default.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi unclebubbies
                          I have always used what windows chooses 4096 bytes or you could just choose default allocation size.
                          CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Just got finished following all of Your suggestions and it worked to the tee! Thank you for all of the input and instructions. This the best forum for computer dummies like me! I can now transfer using my flash drive! Thanks again!

Comment

Glad you got going. And you can switch back to FAT32 if needed I switch them some times, my PS3 only sees FAT32 and I move big files to the media player via NTFS. I would use the quick format option rather than writing the whole drive, flash drives have a finite number of writes then they die.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X