Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optical Drives Bluray Burner --Help me choose one

Hello all,

I just finished purchasing the lifetime license bundle package...yay. Now, I need a bluray burner. I've been on Amazon for hours and can't get passed all the negative reviews. I could really use some help on which one to buy. I need an external drive. If there's another thread, please point me there. Thanks!

Slinger, first I will move your thread to a better spot.
    Then I will change the prefix and title so everyone can see what you want.
    We have some real experts on hardware in the forum, I am sure you will hear from them.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Here is my submission: LINK
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
        Here is my submission: LINK
        Out of interest... Do you know what make/model of drive Asus have used?

I recently bought a slimline USB3.0 Blu-ray disc burner for use with my Dell laptop. When I removed the drive from the case the drive turned out to be a Matshita BD-MLT UJ240AF. Which, according to ImgBurn, offers the following features: -

I've not used it yet so I've no idea how good it is...
        I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
        I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I have no idea, I just avoid slim external drives, my personal bad luck with them and this is one of the few full sized external drives available.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
            I have no idea, I just avoid slim external drives, my personal bad luck with them and this is one of the few full sized external drives available.
            I must admit, the only reason I went down the slimline route was so I could install it within my Dell laptop. The most fiddly bit was swapping the drive trays face plates!

By-the-way... If you plug your Asus into your computer and launch ImgBurn. Then go to: Mode -> Discovery. Then: Tools -> Drive -> Capabilities. You should be able to discover which drive you have

Cheers
            I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
            I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I read on amazon that some of their LG burners will not allow you to burn unless you buy extra software. I also read the the high priced Kewl looking Asus doesn't burn well for movies. I'm at a loss. I just need to know a good external drive burner that will do the job.

Comment

The Asus has great specs, it should be fine.

@SMD
                I have a UJ240AF in my MSI laptop, it is a good drive but has RPCII firmware and will not play out-of-region discs with Passkey/AnyDVD/FabPlayer. It reads BDs at about 9.5 MB/s, DVDs at about 10.5 MB/s. It is mechanically sound, I have been using it for >2 years with no problems beyond the usual Matshita firmware stuff.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for the information. Just to be clear, I'm looking at buying the ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black. It looks very promising. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinger05 View Post
                    Thanks for the information. Just to be clear, I'm looking at buying the ASUS External 12X Blu-Ray Burner with USB 3.0 BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS, Black. It looks very promising. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.
                    TOP choice.Have one since 2 years.Never let me down once.Most likely the best external burner on the market. Never upgraded firmware either seems there is no need for it.
                    Last edited by BERT; 08-17-2014, 12:33 AM.

Comment

You can save a few bucks on one here: LINK I've dealt with these folks a few times on camera stuff and they are legit. No tax and free shipping.

Looks like they've sold out since I posted this link.
                      Last edited by 90312; 08-17-2014, 05:47 PM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

After burn, it freezes on PS3

Thanks Bert for the reply. After watching a couple movies, I've noticed the movie will freeze. It plays fine on my ASUS, but on my PS3 it skips/freezes. I only have one PS3 to test on. Any idea what the problem could be. I usually burn on 25 gig disk and average about 80% for a compression. Thanks in advance for a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinger05 View Post
                          Thanks Bert for the reply. After watching a couple movies, I've noticed the movie will freeze. It plays fine on my ASUS, but on my PS3 it skips/freezes. I only have one PS3 to test on. Any idea what the problem could be. I usually burn on 25 gig disk and average about 80% for a compression. Thanks in advance for a response.
                          Sorry can't help you on that one.I have no PS3 in my home but never had any problems playing discs burned on my Asus to play on any alone standing Blu ray or DVDfab Media players etc. I think the problem may be in your PS3......Try to play the disc in another or someone else's player to find out. Remember you said "It plays fine on my ASUS"..... all that means is.....the copy burned on disc is perfect

Comment

Working...
                          X