• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other DVDIdle, more info wanted

I had difficulty deciding the appropriate forum for this thread
    1. optical drives
    2. other hardware
    3. other

When a DVD is inserted into the DVD tray to copy with DVDFab, the DVD drive makes a lot of mechanical thrashing noises.

My wife (who is "the" DVDFab user) tells me that was normal for the previous LG DVD-CD drive.
    - the LG drive died within 12 months ... I can only assume it thrashed itself to death

I am the fix-it technician in our household ... I work out how an app works, install it, then wife points and clicks.
    - when processes don't work (as she expects) she wont attempt to sort any problems herself, I am the fix-it.
    - mostly it is just common sense ... look at settings, experiment, help pages/pdf ... I look around

The LG drive was replaced with a Lite-On drive (approx x2 LG price) ... I assume better quality.
    Recently while poking around in the DVDFab web-site I found DVDIdle-Pro

Q1: Is DVDIdle designed to reduce the DVD drive thrashing during DVD-Copy (reading?) ... or is it only for playing DVDs

In recent days I think I read to "copy a DVD to a HDD" first, implying to rip a dvd from the HDD copy and not the DVD drive ?
    - I don't mind if this thread is moved to another more appropriate forum

Help offered on DVDIdle-Pro page is desperately wanting.
    Questions and Answers:- (link)
    - sort of email (or is it a new-thread create page ?)
    - if there is a "forum" where is it ?
    Wiki:- (link)
    <quote>
    There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.
    </quote>

Q2: Where can I find more info about DVDIdle ?
    Last edited by grayghost2; 11-24-2014, 11:42 PM. Reason: corrections
    SPECS:
    DVD-Copy ... lifetime
    DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
    Win7 Home Premium 64bit
    SSD for C:\
    HDD (internal) for D:\
    Lite-On CD/DVD RW: iHAS324-07 WU

Sorry, DVDIdle is obsolete and no longer being developed or sold, which is why it has no forum of its own. In most cases the "thrashing" sounds are the drive seeks which are normal. You will hear more of it during analysis of the disc before copying.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hi Signals

Is DVDIdle still available ? (free?)
      Will it reduce the thrashing during the DVD "read" ?

I considered (somehow) "quietly copying" the DVD contents to HDD but I guess that would just move the thrashing to the internal HDD.
      Maybe an SSD to hold the contents of the DVD ?

It sure hurts to right off a DVD/CD burner every 12 months. (Last LG lasted 11 months)
      - now I am considering Blue Ray, and they are not cheap !

Your help is very appreciated
      SPECS:
      DVD-Copy ... lifetime
      DVD-Ripper ... lifetime
      Win7 Home Premium 64bit
      SSD for C:\
      HDD (internal) for D:\
      Lite-On CD/DVD RW: iHAS324-07 WU

Comment

Hi ghost

It is not available, but you can probably find it on the web somewhere. I remind you it is unsupported. The read ahead cache in DVDFab does much the same thing, but does not work with external player software. The thrashing and seeking is just part of the process and should not have contributed to the failure of your LG drive unless you are doing many DVDs a day. Idle may not work on win7 and probably will not work on win8.x.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
        X