X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtitles BD to DVD hardcoded?

Hello All.

Hope you had a good Christmas

When I back up my bluray to a DVD, I sometimes forget to remove the subtitles.

When I don't remove the subtitles they appear to get hardcoded into the DVD output.

I have used PotPlayer and VLC. Both do the same thing. Even with subtitles disabled in those programs the subtitles are still displayed.

This doesn't happen on the blu-ray as I can play it without subtitles or turn on subtitles, but then, I don't have a software blu-ray player to test it on my PC.

What am I doing wrong?

Tanya

Hello Yanta, and the same good wishes.

I did 2 BD to DVD conversions today and did not have any sub problems, but on one of them I am sure I unchecked all the sub streams from the BD Source and I may have done it on both, knowing I would never need the subs to be available in the DVD. I will try another one in an effort to reproduce the problem.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I just finished one and the subs work fine and are switchable in DVDfab Media Player.
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I just tried "A Most Wanted Man" with 2 sub streams included and neither was rendered into the DVD. There were some subs for translations, but they were burned into the video in the original Blu-ray. Maybe others have experienced this or something similar.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks for checking this out.

I is probably something I am doing, no doubt.

I usually remove them before clicking start, but every now and then my aging mind forgets. And in all cases I don't seem to be able to didable the subtitles on the burned disc.

I'll try again and see if I can graba piece of the video.

thanks
          Tanya

Comment

Hi,

sorry for the delay in responding. Christmas.. What can I say?

Attached are two images. The first shows the movie with the subtitles displayed. The second shows that Potplayer is set NOT to display subtitles.

Yet, they are displayed and cannot be turned off, short of re-encoding the movie, and deslecting the subtitle stream, or by converting it to someother format, removing the stream completely then re-encoding it.

What I was really hoping for was that the subtitles would not be "forced" or on by default.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
            Tanya
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Yanta, same holiday schedule here

I am running some new tests on this and will post back tomorrow to compare findings.

Comment

Yanta
                I have tried several different movies and can't duplicate what you are seeing. Please take all the IFO files from one of the titles where the subs show, zip them and attach them to a post.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                  Yanta
                  I have tried several different movies and can't duplicate what you are seeing. Please take all the IFO files from one of the titles where the subs show, zip them and attach them to a post.
                  Sorry.. I had to re-encode.. I deleted the backup I created earlier..

Here you go..
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have figured it out.

I got a clue when my son was watching our DVD of "The Core" which was displaying Dutch subtitles, when there were absolutely no subtitles on the DVD.

When I rips the Blu-ray I removed all subtitles so how could it display a foreign language?

I can't explain why VLC did it, but with PotPlayer there are a couple of settings..

Under preferences, Device, DVD/Blu-ray there is a check box called "Display DVD Subtitles". If ticked they will display from an online source. To prove this I took the computer off the net and it didn't show the subtitle.

Also, when playing the DVD, right click on the video, select DVD control, subtitle option, and untick Active (Will be set to inactive if you change the option under preferences).

These appear to come from http://www.opensubtitles.org/isdb

Mystery solved and clearly (again), not a DVDFab product bug.

Comment

Working...
                    X