Getting closed captions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting closed captions

When I copy a BD (full disc) to files directly to an external HDD, I then plug it into my Samsung smart TV. The video and audio both play fine, but I am unable to find any way to turn on closed captioning. At 80 years old, I am reduced to lip-reading without them. Any suggestions?

Look for controls for captions or subtitles in the player controls for whatever software or app the TV is using for playback. If you did a Full Disc copy, all the information for the subs is in the BDMV folder. Could also be on the TV's remote control.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

subtitles or closed captions

When I put in a DVD in my computer that has both subtitles and closed captions, DVD Ripper will show subitles and copy them. Many Hallmark Christmas DVDs have only closed captions, no subtitles, and DVD Ripper will not copy the closed captions. In the DVD Fab movie player the closed captions are displayed but the DVD Ripper does not seem to find them.

Comment

I also have a Samsung TV and because of my connections (HDMI), I will never be able to use that feature. According to the Samsung site, only coax and AV cabling will display CC.

Samsung Care is here to help. Get started, find helpful content and resources, and do more with your Samsung products.

Comment

Because on a DVD, closed captioning is an analog only feature.

Comment

Is there some advantage to CC over subtitles?
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Closed Captions VS Subtitles

Providing closed captions is a law. Subtitles do not have to be provided

Broadcasters, cable companies, and satellite television service providers must provide closed captioning for 100% of all new, non-exempt, English language video programming. Closed captioning must also be provided for televised emergency information in some locations. These closed captioning requirements are enforced by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under the authority of the Communications Act.

So basically everything now has closed captioning. By law all TVs must support closed captioning. I have three new TVs hooked up with HDMI only and they all output closed captions if the source, Cable box, DVD player, even the old VHS recorder, provide it.

Here is the technical difference between closed captions and subtitles and yes closed captions are designed for hearing impaired people and subtitles are not.

If you are someone who shops for cheaper DVD's in Europe, you should know that European nations, such as the UK and Ireland, make no significant distinction between subtitles and closed captions.

However, in the U.S. and Canada, subtitles are meant to be translations of the feature's dialogue and assume that audiences can hear. They are especially handy for viewing silent films or movies in foreign languages. Popular movies, especially those sold in European nations, are often offered with subtitles in a dozen languages or more.

In North America, closed captioning (without getting into tech specifications) is different from subtitles in the respect that it is meant to replace sound, not just dialogue.

Comment

I run across a DVD occasionally that doesn't have English subs so I use Handbrake to make an MKV or MP4 and render the closed captions to the video. I can't turn them off but I have English subs or CC if you prefer the term and they're part of the video stream so HDMI is irrelevant. DVDFab can't do that and I wish it could it would be a great feature.

Albert Einstein

Comment

DVDs with Closed Captions and no Subtitles

Thank you so much for this great work around when the DVD does not have subtitles. I had Handbrake for a long time before I bought DVD Fab and just never used it again after I bought DVD Fab. I had to get another program Anydvd to remove the copy protection before I could use Handbrake. I don't know how it works but it takes 3 seconds and the disk is no longer copy protected. I am still in the 21 day trial period so before I pay for this program I wonder if any of the many DVD Fab programs I own will do the same thing and I just don't know how to use it?

Comment

I think you missed your chance to get Passkey free. It does the same thing as anydvd. You can always use DVDFab and copy the DVD to the HDD then use whatever you want on the clean folder. If you have DVDFab copy module you have everything you need.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X