Reading Windows 7 formatted DVD +RW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Windows 7 formatted DVD +RW

After formatting a DVD +RW using the Windows 7 format routine, playback of a copy hangs almost immediately on a frame. I haven't experimented with different revisions, but noticed it does work sometimes. Is there a problem in which UDF revision I use in the Windows format window...ie UDF 1.50, 2.60 etc? If I try to reformat after the hang, the DVD just cycles or the prior recorded media starts playing. Does DVDFAB recommend a particular UDF revision when using Windows to format?
    I have reformatted the DVD at the Windows command level in these cases and it then appears to work okay. I'm using Win 7 Home with DVDfab 9.1.6.5

Using DVDFab there is really no need to reformat an RW disc. It will overwrite on the fly and save you some time. UDF 1.02 is the most compatible format or ISO 9660. See attached:
    Attached Files
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Your DVDFab installation is way out of date, but if it works for you that is fine. Note that if you encounter a problem that can't be duplicated with the current version, there is no official support for older versions. I don't use RWs (or discs at all much anymore), but for best playability I think you should use UDF 1.02+ISO 9660 for DVD, UDF 2.50 for Blu-ray.

Wikipedia has a good article on this, which includes the following:
      Many DVD Players do not support any UDF revision other than version 1.02. Discs created with a newer revision may still work in these players if the ISO 9660 bridge format is used. Even if an operating system claims to be able to read UDF 1.50, it still may only support the plain build and not necessarily either the VAT or Spared UDF builds.
      You can find the full article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Did not see 90312's reply, which is good advice as usual.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
      X