DVDFab/Win10 fails unless Run as Administrator used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab/Win10 fails unless Run as Administrator used

Like many of you, I recently upgraded to Win10 (from Windows 7 Ultimate). Unless I now specifically launch DVDFab 9.2.0.8 (or the previous 9.2.0.1) as Administrator (using "Run as Administrator"), DVDFab can't create the new directories that are needed and fails as soon as I tell it to start ripping ("Failed to create directory").

The account I log onto the PC with IS an Administrator, and this behavior wasn't an issue in DVDFab under Win7. It's unclear to me whether DVDFab needs to be changed or whether I need to modify permissions somehow. I've already removed/reinstalled DVDFab 9.2.0.8 several times and tried restoring 9.2.0.1, but the behavior is unchanged. Any suggestions?

This is already being investigated based on the similar posts in other threads. Could also be a default security setting in Win 10 that was different in Win 7. Hopefully it will be corrected soon, either by Microsoft or a workaround in DVDFab.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Win10 workarounds

I've found two temporary workarounds, each with a small gotcha:
      • When launching DVDFab, right-click its shortcut, Start Menu entry, or program icon and then choose Run as Administrator.
      • Right-click the DVDFab program icon or a shortcut to it and choose Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and click the Run this program as administrator check box. (To simultaneously set this for ALL users, you can also click the Change setting for all users button.)

Each approach has drawbacks. For the first method, if you forget to manually choose Run as Administrator, you'll waste a lot of time setting up a burn only to find that it fails. For the second, it will work 100% of the time, but it will present a Vista-style dialog box that appears on every launch asking if you give DVDFab permission to make changes to your system.

Comment

The problem you are having seems to be similar to what was seen in another thread. Try the recommendations in this post from Wilson.Wang of the QA Team: http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showpost.php?...7&postcount=17

Sounds like an overactive UAC in WIn10.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Removing all the DVDFab files in the folder specified in the other thread and then reinstalling didn't correct my issue. I still have to force DVDFab to Run as Administrator in order to prevent Ripper from failing with a "Failed to create directory" error.

I should mention that the DVDFab 9 directory won't allow me to manually copy files into it or any of its subfolders unless I also tell it that I'm an Administrator -- even though I am. I don't recall if this restriction existed in Windows 7, too.
          Last edited by zapt; 08-11-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Signals suggests doing a complete uninstall, followed by installing 9.2.0.9 with the Run as Administrator option active: http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=27638. Since I hadn't tried that, I took a shot at it. I'm reporting here that it made no difference. Unless I also use Run as Administrator on every launch, DVDFab still fails to create any needed new directories and cannot write to its area of the hard drive.

Comment

All the symptoms you describe seem to point to UAC or whatever win10 has that is similar. Fab may be able to work around it eventually, or they may fix win10 to be more user friendly. See if you can find a security setting that can be turned down. There is no restriction on the program files or other folder placed by DVDFab.

Comment

Working...
              X