Creating A Media Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Creating A Media Server

I have the latest DVDFab V8 (lifetime license, no need for BluRay) and am thinking of creating a media server for my dvd collection (probably not till late next year)

Need to know if:

1): DVDFAB will fully retain the dvd menu for tv shows on dvd

2): Wondering about how much hard drive space this will take up.
    I have somewhere in the 500 to 1000 dvds (rough estimate, could be more)
    Some are in B&W and most are in Color .. some sets have 4 dvds per TV
    season (some more)

3): What would be a good system to use to do this ? ? It will not need to go
    on the internet, just a local private IP that we can access via the home LAN
    I am thinking this may require at least 2, maybe 3 hard drives with at least a 2 GB capacity each

Thanks

I store all my DVD and Blu-ray disc back-ups on a Synology NAS.

Several years ago I used to create 'full-disc' movie back-ups but nowadays I create 'movie-only' .mkv file back-ups which contain the disc's original video, audio, subtitle streams along with chapter points.

The overall file size for each movie will be different for each movie but very few 'movie-only' (MPEG-2) DVD file back-ups exceed 5GB.

Cheers
    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Hi 85rx7
      DVDFab DVD Copy will retain the menus for the TV discs if you use Full Disc or Customize copy mode. When I set up something similar a few years ago, I got a Wifi router that had a USB port and media server built-in, and I put a 1 TB hard drive on it. I made this network just a wireless LAN with no internet traffic, just the media playback and an HP printer that does not get used very much. It has worked pretty well. The router is a TP Link WR1043ND, not sure if they are still available.

I write the movie folders with the HDD plugged in to my PC, then swap out the drive that is on the router periodically. I have about 5-6 drives now full of movies. What I have could be thought of as the "poor man's" version of SeeMoreDigital's setup.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
      X