Ripping BDMV to mkv & getting the highest possible quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripping BDMV to mkv & getting the highest possible quality

When I use "ripper" on a BDMV folder containing a BluRay movie, I set an MKV file as the output with everything set for maximum quality (2 pass, max bit/pixel).
    This time there's no doubt that the original video is 1080p.
    I get quite a large .mkv file.
    I don't care about the size, on condition that it really gets me the highest possible video quality.
    I play these files on a 65" high definition monitor.
    Do I waste space by this policy?

If you want the highest possible quality, then set it for video copy. It will copy much faster.

I'm assuming that you don't have a Blu-ray player attached to your display, otherwise it would be easier to just play the disc. I know that a lot of people are playing their videos from devices other than Blu-ray players. But, I personally prefer the disc so that I can watch the special features as well.

Comment

Yes, you are not wasting space but time. If space is not a factor, do as MrVideo suggests and use the Copy or passthrough functions.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks again

Thank you both for your enlightening & professional opinions. That's the first forum where I get matter-of-fact answers to my questions.
        It's a pity I wasted my time elsewhere.

Comment

Results

Hi MrVideo & signals,
          I used ripper in the "copy video" mode, as you suggested.
          The time result was stunning: It took 92% less time !!!
          Now for the other figures. Original BDMV file: 52.68 Gb.
          My "clumsy" settings: Everything set to max quality (2 pass, max bit/pixel):
          Output file size: 30.35 Gb. Overall bit rate: 21.2 Mbps.
          Your suggested "copy video" method: 44.1 Gb. 30.8 Mbps.
          However:
          In my method: 1920x820 (Suggested by DVDfab as a maximum for that file). No black frame on the sides.
          In your method: 1920x1080. With that black frame.(Naturally).
          Eagerly awaiting your comments.

Comment

The presence or absence of black bars in the output depends to some extent on how the original disc is authored and whether the active video aspect ratio matches your display screen. Re-encoding by default always removes black bars with automatic cropping; "copy video" mode does not have the opportunity to crop the content since it is not decoded. Content that does not match your display aspect ratio will always have black areas (or cropped off areas if you use a "zoom" control to fill the screen).
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X