Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Run FAB 9 The Fastest With New Computer Build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run FAB 9 The Fastest With New Computer Build?

Hi all.
    I have Fab 9218
    I am getting ready to build an X99 based system with an Intel 5930K processor and a ton of ram. My question is, to run Fab as fast as I can, where does it get it’s GPU, or CPU computing power from when we make a backup of a blue-ray for instance? That, ripping Blu-rays, and making compilation disks of Blu-ray scenes are the most common things that I do.
    Am I better off with a super fast video card to make that go faster, or does that computing power come from the CPU? Maybe a Ram-Drive which I have not tried yet?
    I hope this question makes sense. :-)
    Any feedback would be GREAT as I am just about ready to order everything.

I have this drive, which will be for Windows. Notice the read/write specs on this BEAST!

So far, I’m getting this motherboard:

I have this Processor:

I will probably get 64 gig of DDR4 Ram.

Bump. Any ideas?

Comment

Dave
      For me, the best results in terms of speed+quality tradeoffs are obtained using IQS (Intel QuickSync) rather than nvidia. See what others say, especially 90312.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

No need to discuss Intel QuickSync since that processor does not support it. That's not necessarily a bad thing with all that muscle on 6 cores/12 threads. You'll need a graphics card of some description and I never had much luck with AMD acceleration. Nvidia would be my choice and the more CUDA cores the better.
        For creating files for tablets and such I use CUDA on my nvidia GTX 980 card and get pretty comparable results to IQS. Software only for disc based stuff. The limiting factor will always be the optical DVD drive, the slowest link in the process.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you for answering both of you.
          Here is the card that I ordered. Actually I ordered it because it has 4 Digital video outs. It has a lot more pop than my GTS 250. LOL
          I don’t expect you to drag this through thanksgiving. I can return the card, as Newegg is real good with that, but slow.
          I’m going to do more homework, and I will get back to this threads real soon.

Comment

That card should give encoding an MP4 or MKV a boost. Let me know how it goes.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
              That card should give encoding an MP4 or MKV a boost. Let me know how it goes.
              Well, for CUDA cores, is twice as many, twice as fast for our purposes?

Comment

Not sure but I don't think so, my card has a little over 2000 cores and doubt very much it's twice as fast as yours will be.

Albert Einstein

Comment

As you can see from the attachment about 50% of the work load is done on the GPU and the processor gets the rest. You'll have 50% more processor cores chewing on it so your results will be interesting.
                  Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks a lot 90312! Big help.

Comment

Working...
                    X