DVD drive not showing in Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passkey DVD drive not showing in Windows 8.1

There was a problem with the original release of Passkey v8.2.5.5 (5,673 KB) which actually kept installing v8.2.5.4. After I checked for a new version and downloaded the fixed one (5,681 KB) I found on installing it that the process had killed my DVD-ROM drives. They were showing in Device Manager with a Code 19 error and were inaccessible, thus had no drive letter.

The cure I eventually found was to delete the "LowerFilters" entry in the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" which had the data "dvdfab"

It may also have been necessary to delete the "UpperFilters" entry, but my machine did not have it.

Don't know exactly why it happened, but I just thought this might help someone else
    'Round, 'round, get around... I'm getting dizzy

The driver can easily be deleted if necessary by using Tools->Filter Driver Load Order in ImgBurn (without roaming around in the registry).
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I would never have thought of using Imgburn to fix such a problem! In all the years I've been using Imgburn I've never needed to fiddle with settings much, and there is a mind-boggling number of them in there. I agree about poking about in the registry. Anyway, thanks for the "heads up"

Comment

Yes, Regedit is a good thing to avoid. Not sure about the problem you are seeing. Checking to see if I can duplicate it or if others report it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

There were two versions of v8.2.5.5 released (that's very naughty!). The earlier one was identifying itself in "About" as v8.2.5.4. I installed and uninstalled it several times in quick succession until I realised why the version wasn't changing. I then checked and found an updated but identically named version which I downloaded and installed. The only reason I knew it was different was because the filesize was bigger - DVDFAB should have incremented the version number or made an announcement about the mistake. Anyway, after I installed the later version I discovered that my internal BD/DVD drive was missing and that my external USB CD/DVD drive did not show up when plugged in. After much rebooting and trying different stuff I googled the regedit solution which successfully got my drives back. The "smoking gun" was the entry "dvdfab" in the "LowerFilters" registry key. More than that I do not know.

Comment

Working...
          X