Can't play files after restoring from damaged HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't play files after restoring from damaged HDD

Hi, my 3tb HDD developed a partition issue and i lost access to it. I managed to use some decent software to pull all the movies off it onto another drive. I have looked at the file contents and look identical to offer movie files i have that were on another drive. However if i try and open them in window media player it says 'no dvd in drive' and if i try and view them in other players, even the dvdfab media player they just wont start.
    What could be the problem? I have over 150 movies on it so don't want to loose them.
    As I said looking at the files all the right parts appear to be there in the right order etc.

What format are these files? ISO, folders, video files (e.g. MP4 etc.)?
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

They were VOB files. Basically back ups of some of my old dvd collection, all created with dvdfab gold.

Comment

You can try this trick to get a .vob video file to play on WMP by changing the extension .vob to .mpg.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...edia-player-12 for latest player

You need to have a list like this list of files in the Video_ts folder:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
        VIDEO_TS.IFO
        VIDEO_TS.VOB*
        VTS_01_0.BUP
        VTS_01_0.IFO
        VTS_01_1.VOB
        VTS_01_2.VOB
        VTS_01_3.VOB
        VTS_01_4.VOB
        *This file not really needed

If you still have the damaged hard drive you can use this programs free version to get the movies off the disk http://www.r-tt.com/Articles/External_Disk_Recovery/ and maybe then after they are playing on the new drive reformat the old drive and reuse it.Read the information on how the disk could have got damaged so you don't have it happen to the new drive also.Good luck.

Comment

The VOB files in a VIDEO_TS folder are not meant to be played on their own or as MPG files They are part of a system called DVD-Video that works with DVD players or software. If you want to make a VOB/MPG file of a movie, use the VOB Passthrough profile in DVDFab's Ripper module.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

You can also try to let windows repair the old drive from command prompt sign in as admin. then type chkdsk/r D: then hit enter (where D: is the damaged disk you type in the letter of your damaged drive D: is a example.)
            This may take some time to complete on a big hard drive.

Comment

Working...
            X