Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black bars at top and bottom when wathcing Blu-Ray films

Hello,

I think manies noted the black bars at top and bottom of the screen, when watching the films from Blu Ray disks. Is there any way to get rid of them? I've googled a lot, but still can't find a way to do this.

I tried using different software players, and selected different aspect ratio, but just can't rid of them...

However I noticed an interesting thing - that if I download and watch a BD-Rip version of the film (for example in MKV container) - it's enough just to select an option not to save an aspect ratio, and almost all software players just stretch a bit the picture by vertical, and black bars dissappeared. But when playing a Blu-Ray disks - this doesn't happen for some reason.

Does everyone know how to handle this? Maybe there's a good Blu Ray software player that can stretch the picture to remove these black bars?

P.S.: Yes, I understand that in case of my experience with MKV - the picture becomes a bit stretched and deformed, but this small stretching is almost unnoticable, and annoy me much less than these damn black bars!

DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper will remove these bars when converting Blu-ray to a video file (MKV, MP4 etc). They can't be removed when using the Blu-ray Copy module.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
      DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper will remove these bars when converting Blu-ray to a video file (MKV, MP4 etc). They can't be removed when using the Blu-ray Copy module.
      I see... I just hoped that there's a software player with Blu Ray disks playback support that has fine scaling options - with independent vertical & horizontal picture scalling. So I could stretch the picture by the vertical only, and just move out the black bars beyond the borders of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivlov View Post
        Yes, I understand that in case of my experience with MKV - the picture becomes a bit stretched and deformed, but this small stretching is almost unnoticable, and annoy me much less than these damn black bars!
        I'm going to be a little blunt... live with it. The black bars are a result of fitting a 2.40:1 movie into a 16:9 (1.78:1) image area. The movie is intended to be seen at that aspect ratio. Some TVs allow the user to zoom the image, which will result in the black bars being removed, as well as removing parts of the sides of the movie. IMHO, stretching the video vertically, resulting in tall/skinny people, is way worse that having the image letterboxed.

As for MKV encoded ripped Blu-ray content... the black bars are removed so that the file size can be smaller. Why encode the black bars when playback devices will automatically re-add them (in order to keep the aspect ratio)? It isn't done because the black bars are hated.

Comment

Working...
        X