Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra files in a project

Hi

I'm a noob, and have no clue as what I'm doing when it comes to doing a manual copy.

The project I'm attempting is I own a box set of Lord of the rings (Extended version). I need to back the disks up and put them on Blu-ray instead of DVD's. My question is if someone has a idea as there are two exact same video files the same size on each dvd. DVD Fab automatically chooses the single video file. But leaves out the exact same file just labeled 2. I don't know what this second file is for. I've checked both of the files out and they are the same video, at least what I can tell anyway. I've also noticed on other projects I find duplicate video files.

I'm also confused as to how they can get way more data on a dual layer dvd that it suppose to be able to handle. When I put part 1 and part two into a iso it comes out to over 29 gigs, a dual layer dvd can only handle about 8.5 gig. Which means they got somehow almost 15 gigs on one dual layer dvd! Does DVD Fab add that much overhead to a disk going from dvd to Blu-ray? I figure it's just copying the videos from dvd to Blu-ray and not increasing the size of the source disks?
    So if someone knows what they are for I'd appreciate a heads up!
    Last edited by bradf61; 07-15-2016, 04:40 AM.

It seems you want to put DVD movies on a Blu-ray disc but they should be converted to blu-ray first if you want them to play. A regular BLU-RAY file can be from 14gbs to 45gbs. When converting a DVD to BLU-RAY you are adding a lot of data, of course the file will be larger - it's like growing up you need larger clothes, but try to convert them to (video.mp4) format then put them on a disc as data (video.mp4) files using any file transfer software in this format you may be able to put them on one duel layer DVD or BLU-RAY disc. most Blu-ray players will play (video.mp4) data files. All tho they are compressed to a smaller file they look and sound great. Then store your DVD's in a safe place.

Comment

bradf61
      There are actually several ways you can do this with DVDFab, and its not clear which method would be best based on how you want it to turn out. To make a disc in the Blu-ray format you can use the DVD to Blu-ray module. It will play on any Blu-ray player with high quality. You can also do as user realfrog suggested and use the DVD Ripper module to convert the movies to MP4 video file format and copy them to a Blu-ray disc after the conversion. Some Blu-ray players will be able to play them, some may not. You need to supply better details of how you want to use these.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Still confused

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong after I bounced my head against the wall a few times!

The only thing I'm confused about now is why on many projects I find duplicated video files on the DVD. Same size and same content.

DVDFab did a great job converting these from DVD to Blu-ray by the way.

I just don't understand why the duplicate files. I also have box sets of Babylon 5 and Lord Of The rings which I'm working on consolidating onto Blu-ray.
        I'm guessing the duplicates are there for a reason but I don't add the extra ones and the Blu-ray works great. So now I'm just ignoring the extra files.

Comment

Originally posted by bradf61 View Post
          The rings which I'm working on consolidating onto Blu-ray.
          I'm guessing the duplicates are there for a reason but I don't add the extra ones and the Blu-ray works great. So now I'm just ignoring the extra files.
          Put the DVDs into your DVD/Blu-ray player and look at the menus. There should clues there as to what is going on.

Comment

The duplicates may not be exactly the same or may be part of a protection scheme. Best to just ignore them as long as things play OK after conversion.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
            X