Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Most Lossless Way To Rip Blu-rays? (best fidelity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Most Lossless Way To Rip Blu-rays? (best fidelity)

Hi all.

So, when I go to backup one of my Blu-ray disks on to a hard drive, space is not my concern at all. The fidelity of the Video/Audio is all I care about.
    My question is, what setting should I use to copy a Blu-ray to hard disk and save it EXACTLY as the original Disk.

OR, if that can't be done, I want it as close as possible to the original Blu-ray on to my hard drive, with the highest data rate etc. I have all of my FAB settings to try to accomplish this for BD Disk to BD Disk copying, such as full scan, slow speed/high quality. etc. So far, I have been using MKV Pass-through. I read somewhere that MKV is the most lossless way to save video files.

Any suggestions will help. Thank you!
    Last edited by DaveSkynet; 11-03-2017, 08:52 AM.

Hello,

You can give Copy - Clone/Burn mode a try.

Regards,
    Mona

Comment

If you have been making MKVs, you are using the Ripper module and not BD Copy. To get the same streams that are on the original disc, select Copy Video and Copy Audio on the Ripper Advanced Settings screen.

If you use the BD Copy module, set the output size to BD50 and use Full Disc copy mode, there will be no compression and the video and audio streams will be just as they are on the original disc. This will preserve the disc menus as well. If you just want the movie to play immediately and no extras or other features, use Main Movie copy mode and set the output size for no compression (BD50 or BD25 for some titles).

Either of these will provide the same streams that are on the original disc, the choice depends on whether you want a BDMV folder or an MKV file for the output.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSkynet View Post
        I read somewhere that MKV is the most lossless way to save video files.
        MKV is a wrapper. It has absolutely nothing to do with video, or audio, compression.

Comment

I did the same thing that you are looking to do. What I did was use Passkey to rip in my entire library to ISOs (thus having perfect copies, menus, special features, and all), and then I use Kodi (OSMC) running on a Raspberry Pi to run my media center.

Don't underestimate the amount of space it will take, though. I started off by buying a 4TB drive, thinking, "this should be WAY more than enough." Now I'm pushing 32TB...

Comment

Oh! My notification never went off, so I never saw these answers! Thank you very much everybody.
            I never usually let people hang after asking for help. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
              If you have been making MKVs, you are using the Ripper module and not BD Copy. To get the same streams that are on the original disc, select Copy Video and Copy Audio on the Ripper Advanced Settings screen.

Either of these will provide the same streams that are on the original disc, the choice depends on whether you want a BDMV folder or an MKV file for the output.
              So is there a difference using the MKV "Copy Video and Copy Audio" on the advanced setting screen vs. using the MKV Passthrough feature?

Comment

Same result. If you use Passthrough, make sure your player can deal with it in the mkv wrapper.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                X