Subtittle question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtittle question?

Could someone advise me the procedure to make sure subtitles are available when I back up a disc to MKV/MP4 files. Lately it's been hit or miss for me. Especially when a movie is in English but at some point someone speaks a different language? Some discs let me select a different subtitle track that reads the foreign language but doesn't show the English.
    Air Force One per example. When Russian is spoken no subtitle displays unless I put the English track on. Then it's like watching closed caption. I'm sure there is a procedure to copy the disc to display both the foreign language only when needed? Please advise. Thanks!

Sounds like one of the items you are referring to is what is known as "forced subtitles". This is a subtitle track that is turned on by default by the player (though it can be turned off manually) and normally used to show the translation from the foreign language to English. It only appears when a translation is needed, not when native English is being spoken. Also note that some movies have this embedded into the video itself (thus it cannot be turned off), and still yet some movies don't have this at all, especially if what is being spoken in the foreign language is not substantive to the specific context.

With that being said, I have yet to see where DVDFab does detect this and turn it on by default or even mark it as a forced subtitle, at least in Blu-ray copy. It can be set to be on by default by the user, but you have to know its there in the first place (only way I do it now is by brute force and making a note of it if its there when watching the original before making a backup, or simply starting the main movie in the player and check to see which, if any, subtitles tracks are automatically turned on by the player). Of course if the original only has a single English track, forced subtitles are not present. I have asked questions about this several times on this forum but have yet to receive an answer or have seen it implemented and has been somewhat of a source of frustration for me. Maybe if more people complain or comment about it they will do something about it. Till then I will just use my manual detection method.

Comment

Hi,

Some of media player does not support to play the forced subtitle in MP4/MKV files when turn off subtitle, you must turn on subtitle to playback the forced subtitle.

You can try DVDFab Player 5, the forced subtitle will be shown only when turn off subtitle.

Anyway, we will impoved the forced subtitle logic in the future version.

Thanks!

Wilson
      Please post your logs the default location is:
      For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
      For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
      If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

If you want the movie to appear just as it did in a theater in any media player, select the correct sub stream (and check Display Only Forced if necessary), then choose Direct Render to Video in the Ripper settings.

You can find the correct sub stream for the translation subs using the Preview function in DVDFab's Ripper module.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks I'll try these suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X