File Integrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Integrity

I don't really know where to post this issue. I use DVDFab to copy my DVD library onto disks. A couple of years ago I decided to put the ~1000 disks in DVD format onto a RAID-5 array. Big mistake. The array failed, rebuild didn't work and many of the files became corrupted. I detected corruption by playing the first minute or so of each disk - some files were determined by this process to be OK and were moved onto a new non-RAI set of disks.

Every so often I will play a DVD and it will go along just fine and then crap out. Clearly, some of the corruption was not detected. I have seen various software products that will "check" DVD surfaces and HDD surfaces - but I need something to check integrity or operability of the files en mass. I can put together a batch script to play each file but it will go on forever, or until a bad file is detected. Is there a way to do this at an accelerated speed?

I would appreciate any ideas that the forum has to accomplish my goal.
    MotoMorgan

Sorry to hear about your disaster! Try opening the titles with DVDFab, but this may not catch them all.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Good idea. I found a DVD that has a playback problem near the end. I tried opening it in DVDFab and it says "Failed to open. See if it is playable." So this is a key to finding other examples. I can see a lot of examples of using DVDFab to do tasks, but if I just want to test-on-open, how can I just exit without doing anything. I suppose that if it "fails" I will get prompted. Please advise.
      MotoMorgan

Comment

you can try using imgburn's verify option.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
          you can try using imgburn's verify option.
          Not sure if I am understanding the problem, but if the problem is with a source file on the HDD, Imgburn only verifies that the source and the disk match. If there is some bad data in the source, but still being able to be read by the OS file system, Imgburn wont catch that. If the file itself is corrupted and cannot be read by the OS file system, then of course Imgburn will complain either during or even before the read/burn/verify process. If there are a lot of corrupted files, using Imgburn to verify could result in a lot of coasters since even a partial burn of a disc will render it useless. Perhaps I misunderstood the original issue.

Comment

resolved - I did this some months back, but never posted the result. It may come in handy for others. Indeed, if DVDFAB is asked to copy the "movie" to another spot it detects the file corruption and stops displaying "Failed to open. See if it is playable." At that point I stop the script, delete the folder, copy it to the HD again, and move forward with a modified script. I found about 30 titles that were corrupt. It took about 8 hours to process each of my 3, 4TB drives. I used a dir command to generate the folders to be tested and then used an editor to construct the command around those filenames. For multi disk titles (e.g. 24) a command is needed for each disk. Copy to a fast drive and it goes faster. My c drive is a very fast SSD. A portion of one of the batch scripts is below. Thanks to signals.

DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "0 DARK THIRTY" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "1 ANGRY JUROR" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "12 ANGRY MEN" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "12 MONKEYS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "12 OCLOCK HIGH" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "12 ROUNDS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "127 HOURS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "13 DAYS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "13 HOURS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "13TH WARRIOR" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "15 MINUTES" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "16 BLOCKS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "2 GUNS" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "2001" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "2010" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "2012" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC1" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC2" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC3" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC4" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC5" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            DVDFab /MODE "CUSTOMIZE" /SRC "24 SEASON 1\DISC6" /DEST "c:\testout1" /CLOSE & rd "c:\testout1" /s /q
            MotoMorgan

Comment

Working...
            X