64-bit stability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit stability?

The download page favors the 64-bit over the 32-bit—which I continue to use with 64-bit Windows 7.

Is the 64-bit version preferred by a large margin at this point?

Yes, most users are using 64-bit version now.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Well,

I create ISOs from my DVDs. Therefore I use DVD Copy. This is a two step process. The first step copies the DVD to a temp folder. From there the ISO file is created in at my own discretion in the second step.

The odd thing is and therefore I prefer the 32-Bit version: The second step (ISO creation) runs with the 32-Bit version in 4 to 5 minutes for an 8GB DVD. This step takes nearly ages, means over an hour, with the 64-Bit version!

The system: Windows 7 64-bit.

Comment

Suggestion: put the temp file on a different drive and preferably a different controller than the one you use as the target for the ISO output. I can't duplicate the slow speed, same OS.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I just tried full disc ISO from disc on both Windows 7&10, times to complete were identical about 11 minutes to HDD.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

wgk.derdicke why not have DVDFab create the ISO directly in one step? If you DO do a two-step process, try using Imgburn's build mode to create the ISO from folders created by DVDFab. I find it to be much faster than DVDFab in creating an ISO when using the 'two-step' process you mentioned (usually under a minute for me). But as signals mentioned, you should always have the source and destination on a different drive/controller if possible. Using the same drive causes a lot of latency when the head has to thrash back and forth between read and write cycles from source to destination on the same drive, even with a large disc cache. However, with that said, even using the same drive it should not take an hour (Unless maybe you are using older, slower drives).
            Last edited by LaciBacsi; 09-08-2018, 02:45 AM.

Comment

wgk.derdicke Also, thought this may not be the issue in your case, as october262 suggested in another post, "
              try clicking common settings - general settings - tick " check for DMA automatically " click reset DMA if highlighted
              restart dvdfab and retry your discs again.

"

Not all setups can DMA (Direct Memory Access) for disk access be turned on or off by user, but yours may. If DMA is turned off, the read/write is accomplished using PIO (Programmed Input/Output) which is much slower. I believe SATA controllers use DMA by default and cannot be turned off since they never use PIO. If you are using older EIDE controllers, then it can be turned off or on by user. Anyway, worth a check.
              Last edited by LaciBacsi; 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

LaciBacsi , I let DVDFab create the ISO. This two steps are running within DVDFab. This is happening:
                1. DVD Copy is selected with the complete copy option
                2. I insert the disc
                3. DVDFab identifies this disc
                4. After that I press the ISO button in the DVDFab main dialog and choose a destination folder and filename
                5. I press the start button
                6. The task manager shows the copy progress with a progress bar and the time informations and is says that this is action 1/2
                7. If the copy process reaches 100%, DVDFab ejects the disc
                8. After that all informations, progress bar and time informations, are set to zero
                9. Now action 2/2 starts with a fresh pogress bar and fresh time informations
                10. If this porocess reaches 100%, DVDfab reports success and the ISO file can be found in the adjusted folder
                It doesn't bother, if the temp folder is on the same drive or not. It's point 9 from the list above. This particluar action runs significant slower, if I use DVDFab 64-bit.

I use two synology nas as network drives with GB network adapters. My PC also provides two GB network adapters. Even if I have the temp folder and the destination folder on the same NAS and if I use the "quick" 32-Bit version, the windows task manager tells me that the network workload is far away from 100%.

Comment

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought when you said you use a two step process, I thought you did that manually. Now I understand what you meant. Have you tried this using 64 bit using local internal drive(s) (or eSATA drive connected to the motherboard) rather than using network connected drive, just as a test? All my drives are local so I cant test this to see if I get same results as you using network drives.

Comment

Well, that is all very interesting. I have never used DVD Fab to create ISO's. I always process the results with DVD Rebuilder and DVD Shrink—which creates my ISO's. I burn images separately with IMGBurn.

I've installed the 64-bit version, starting with version 11. I assume the change to the white background and rainbow icons is indicative of version 11, and not the 64-bit coding. I appreciate not having to click over and over to escape the Task Queue, something I complained about a while back. However, once one disc is finished, and a new one is inserted, the software automatically scans the next disc, but the "Start" button to begin ripping is gone. I have to close the program and start up all over to rip subsequent discs to the hard drive.

This is exceedingly annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by teh roxxors View Post
                      I've installed the 64-bit version, starting with version 11. I assume the change to the white background and rainbow icons is indicative of version 11, and not the 64-bit coding. I appreciate not having to click over and over to escape the Task Queue, something I complained about a while back. However, once one disc is finished, and a new one is inserted, the software automatically scans the next disc, but the "Start" button to begin ripping is gone. I have to close the program and start up all over to rip subsequent discs to the hard drive.

This is exceedingly annoying.
                      About the start button problem in version 11, we are working on it now, will fix it as soon as possible.
                      Also, please post all version 11 problem to one section, or start a new thread, rather than post the same problem to different threads or to an old thread. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X