Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cheaper (& better) to get inexpensive PC just for DVDfab?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheaper (& better) to get inexpensive PC just for DVDfab?

I love my macbook pro & can use bootcamp to fire up windows for DVDfab. But, I would have to buy XP, vista, or win7 & install it on the MBP.

Alternatelvely, it wouldn't be that expensive to get a cheap netbook or other PC to use for DVDfab.

Which is the best route to go?

Thanks for your help,
    David

Neither as we do not recommend portables for ripping & burning from bitter experience.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

A couple of years ago and I would have to agree with GregiBoy. However, recently there have been a lot of machines available that might work depending on what you are trying to do. The netbook style machines don't usually come with an optical drive so you would be using an external one anyway.

The answer to your question very much depends on what you want to do. If it is simply DVD ripping and DVD writing then a used PC or new laptop with external drive might work fine for you. If you are trying to encode DVD to Mobile then you will want something with a modern processor. If you plan to do Blu-Ray then a high-end PC is in order with a quad core, lots of fast memory, and possibly a CUDA supporting video card.

BTW, if you just want to rip DVDs then you can use the free part of DVDFab on your macbook by loading Ubuntu in MBP and installing Wine. Unfortunately the registration of the paid version does no work in Wine. Do keep in mind that with the free version some of the copy protection fixes are delayed a few months. This might be the right now option that you can use until you purchase something better.

Comment

I agree. A netbook is out of the question. A modern laptop can do a passable job, even a fairly inexpensive one if you don't mind long times for DVD or Blu-ray to mobile conversions. A high end lappie can be the equal of all but the finest gaming desktops. If you go the laptop route, get a cooling pad for it.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thanks, guys

Your responses were right on target & helpful...thanks.

The only thing that stops me from using the free dvd decrypter, is all the cool, one button options with dvd fab. I wish they would make an OS X version. If I want to rip the audio from a music dvd to mp3...I press a button. The same if I want to convert stuff to mp4 to put on my iPod...just 1 button to press.

My son loves ubuntu linux, 'cause he likes to know how & why things work. I like my macbook pro & DVD fab, 'cause it does what I want without me having to think.

Do you think they'll ever put out a mac version?

Thanks,
          David

Comment

NOPE !!!!!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post

NOPE !!!!!
              Allow me to put that through the GregiBoy translator I created:

Sorry, No. The DVDFab developers really only work in Windows so it is very unlikely that they will support anything else. By the way, you probably could have determined this yourself using the forum search since the question has been asked so many times.
              Sorry, my translator is unable to properly duplicate the Aussy accent.

Comment

LMAO. I have spent years learning to speak Strine.
                Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Goodonya, both of you !!!!

I love Complications embelishments but the answer is still "NOPE!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X