This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy to Thumb/Flash drive

I have the registered DVD to DVD version and wish to copy a DVD to a Thumb/Flash drive. I looked at the DVD to Mobile and listings did not apply-Unless it is "Generic". Would I copy to desktop, then copy to the Flashdrive? Do both (if applicable) files be "highlighted" and copied? (Audio/Video). I am a novice and unless the directions appear on the screen are very friendly, something may be lost in the translation. I suspect I may have to obtain a 30 day trial app. first.. Appreciate any help with this task. Thanks

Rip the movie to your hard drive and then copy it to the thumb drive.
    The thumb drive is formatted as Fat32 which will not accept files more that 4gb but you can reformat most of them to NTFS to get away from this restriction.

I have done this with a 16gb thumb drive many times.

Comment

What are you trying to achieve? A full copy of the DVD on the thumb drive?

And how do you intend to play it or what do you want to do with it?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Here is a link to detailed instructions for formatting a flash drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

FAQ - How do I format a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system? To enable NTFS on your USB Flash Drive drive

Comment

As a side note my test show that formatting a flash drive from FAT32 To NTFS increases the transfer rate by 23% .

That in itself is worth the 5 minutes or less it takes to make the change.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

FAT32 should work for copying to VIDEO_TS folders, but not ISO files. I echo the advice to write to hard drive first, then transfer. Many thumb drives don't support the write speeds that DVDFab needs.
            Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
            Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Gregiboy I asked to see if it is possible, and how is it achieved. My reason "why" without any info surprised me. How about a friend wants to view a video on her PC. There is No DVD player available- fair enough?
              Hi Grunon, I was hoping to not have to reformat anything, the Patriot XT thumbdrive is very fast. Would I choose DVD to Mobile-copy as Generic to desktop-then Save To the flash drive...? If so, any specific's? I could come up with other scenario's, but I thought a blanket, general question would suffice. I have saved streamed video's that way, but this is more involved, I believe. Could I compress the DVD via this manor? The flashdrive is 8G's, plenty more than a DVD5 that is normally used. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I just saw Signals reply, That is what I wish to do, It is the process, or steps to achieve this via DVDFab that I request. Sometimes 2 folders show-one is always empty, but required. Highlight both and Save To the Flashdrive? Combine the folders then transfer? What DVDFab Program is used? I claimed ignorance from the start. Should I have written to fengtao? If so, I apologize for mis-directing my question.

Comment

Originally posted by dan633 View Post
                  Gregiboy I asked to see if it is possible, and how is it achieved. My reason "why" without any info surprised me. How about a friend wants to view a video on her PC. There is No DVD player available- fair enough?
                  Hi Grunon, I was hoping to not have to reformat anything, the Patriot XT thumbdrive is very fast. Would I choose DVD to Mobile-copy as Generic to desktop-then Save To the flash drive...? If so, any specific's? I could come up with other scenario's, but I thought a blanket, general question would suffice. I have saved streamed video's that way, but this is more involved, I believe. Could I compress the DVD via this manor? The flashdrive is 8G's, plenty more than a DVD5 that is normally used. Thanks for your help.
                  There are many ways to achieve what you asked and that is why I asked you to clarify.

IMHO, the best way to go would be to create a generic.avi.h264.audiocopy file using "DVD to Mobile" and the size of this will be only a little over 1Gb and the bitrate will be far lower than a full DVD rip. Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (links below). I have also posted a Samsung profile in the "New Profiles" section of the forum which is optimised for these parameters.

Your friend could then download & install the FREE VLC player (www.videolan.org) and play it with no problems.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I was about to reply and spotted GregiBoy's response.
                    His samsung profile is outstanding...I'm currently playing thses files on a 42" LCD TV and they look great.
                    There's no reason that you have to convert these video files to play with VLC.
                    You also don't have to be concerned with the empty AUDIO_TS FOLDER as strict dvd video compliance isn't necessary just to play the files with VLC.

Still, the samsung profile is worth it since a full movie file will run about 1 GB.
                    Lots more room for your friend's viewing pleasure...
                    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi GregiBoy, I thought I would get a "Reply to your post" Email and I was mistaken, so I just happened to check on this thread, sorry for the delay. You said "Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (links below). There was no thread attached to the reply (that this novice could find). I did a search and I didn't find that listing. I would just go ahead and start experimenting using a R/W disk, but DVDFab automatically finalizes burns to disc's, so I suspect I would have a stack of coasters while trying to figure out if any of my transfers worked. Would you be kind enough to attach the link you referred to again? The videolan.org is present on the reply for the VLC player (I have that program on a disc now, it is a great overall player- they just released Ver. 1.5). - Oh, how will I find the specific Samsung "New Profile" you listed?
                      Thanks in advance for posting the link to threads. Good Evening, Dan

Comment

The thread you're looking for is right in GregiBoy's sig, but here you go:

Best Practice: DVD to Mobile

I'm confused by your comment that
                        "I would just go ahead and start experimenting using a R/W disk, but DVDFab automatically finalizes burns to disc's, so I suspect I would have a stack of coasters."

RW discs are erasable. Finalization simply closes the session and confers playability to some standalones.
                        They still can be erased and used again.
                        Last edited by maineman; 03-03-2010, 07:23 AM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Sorry, I guess I missed your question on the samsung profile first time around...
                          You'll find it in the DVD to Mobile subforum, sticky at the top, New Profiles
                          Here ya go:

Samsung LA52A850 Television

Comment

Thanks for the info. I should be ready to try it out.
                            In Re: Finalize, I knew it was for compatibility, but I also believed it locked the disc from further recording (on R-W types) I always wrote over them on my tabletop DVD recorder, but I never finalized the disc unless I planned to keep the last program on it. +R/W would play on most of my recorders w/o final., But now that you have straightened me out on, I won't be concerned about the auto-finalizing. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X