are my drives just too old??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are my drives just too old??

First off Im not asking about illegal recording problems Im having problems with playing newest discs and so are my parents. Most recently Aladdin played 9 minutes and clicks pops and quits on my 2010 panasonic..the ps3 kicked it out altogether and my LG pc drive tried to read it but clicked forever in the first reading, I have seen maybe its the newest copy protection and tho my drives have the newest firmware are they just not updated enough?

its not just aladdin but thats the most recent and the disc looked perfect, my parents got thru it but lost large sections for clicks and the skips ahead

looking at new drives they are most all made years ago so if its the firmware what do you go with? at least the newer LG wh16ns60 is from 2018 I was looking at sony 4k players and they have terrible reviews

any suggestions or ideas without breaking the bank on new drives

DJuan

More info. needed:
    What kind of disk are you playing dvd,2k or 4k blu rays?
    What player on computer are you using player's like Power dvd need's to be updated to play the latest disks.So do other player's.Are you using a licensed player like Power dvd or using passkey to decrypt the disk?

Comment

DJuan,
      They may not be too old but may be too dirty. Analyze it this way:
      1) If all discs have the problem, the drive lens may be dusty. Get a can of compressed air at BestBuy or a local store and try blowing it out.
      2) If only certain discs have the problem, the discs may be dirty or damaged. They can be cleaned with mild, no residue dish soap and warm water rinsed well and allowed to dry. It is also possible but unlikely that your standalone player needs a firmware update; see if it has an internet connection and a menu option for updates. PC players (such as PowerDVD) will obtain updates if needed, automatically in some cases. The firmware of your PC optical drive is not an issue for the symptoms you describe.
      3) Also unlikely but possible: if all discs have a problem reading near the edge of the disc, it may be a mechanical issue causing the disc to wobble which prevents the laser from focusing. Make sure the disc is seated well and has no tape or paper labels near the spindle hole in the center on the read (bottom) side. The disc edge is usually (but not always) near the middle of the movie.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Non current copy's of Power dvd seem to need manual updating.Being this happens on 3 different drives it's could be a defective disk try returning for another of the same.I don't think you have 3 dirty drives make sure their are no fingerprints or dirt on the disks that give problems and they are not warped by heat.Also are these regular store brought disks? as some on E bay are knockoffs.

Comment

Yes, there are several possibilities here, as I mentioned. Very true about eBay discs, buy with care.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

it does seem disc dependant. Aladdin would not play but i made copies of trolls and trolls holiday and Frozen 1 for the van...all from christmas ( i own the originals), also some netflix movies play so maybe its some discs from netflix or some production companies Aladdin was a netflix disney, then marvel and lionsgate movies from netflix played
            Last edited by DJuanHouston; 01-02-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X