4K UHD disk drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4K UHD disk drive

Basically my problem - I have an older bluray disk drive and it works perfectly with DVDFab for blurays, DVDs.

My problem is a lot of classic old movies are being re-released in 4K UHD and my drive and by extension DVDFab are unable to recognize it.

The pickings seem slim. I've seen USB plug drives, right now my current drive is attached directly to my Motherboard via a SATA cable.

The raw drives requiring SATA connection seem to be few and far between.

I found one from LG but in the reviews and manufacturer responses (these are several years old but all I have to go on) - they specifically mention Ryzen CPUs not being compatible with "some features". One review specifically called out the lack of 4K. I checked another LG variant and it seems like it can work for playing and ripping 4K (Intel vs Ryzen is not specified) but they had to find a way to downgrade firmware... and again the reviews are all at least a year old so finding version 1.02 instead of 1.03 sounds like it could be a pain.

So I guess my question would be: Anyone with a Ryzen CPU have a recommendation for a 4K UHD bluray player (price doesn't matter, anywhere from $50-300 as long as it works) that DVDFab will recognize?

I've been using my current bluray drive since forever and it's the only one I have used with DVDFab (Pioneer something) so I don't know what does and does not work with DVDFab like does USB also work or is a SATA drive directly into MOBO required?

Basically anyone with experience and a Ryzen CPU - recommendation on a 4K UHD bluray disc drive that works with DVDFab?
    Last edited by Ether.Prism; 12-13-2020, 06:43 PM.

here is a list of UHD friendly drives - https://www.dvdfab.cn/4k-uhd-drives....ID=productpage

Comment

Generally, DVDFab can recognize and use any drive that Windows can see and read (usb, mobo-SATA, eSATA etc) There are many users in the forum that have Ryzen cpus that seem to work fine, but they may have different motherboards than what you have. LG drives are highly recommended by DVDFab and many users, but you must buy carefully to make sure you get one with “UHD Friendly” firmware if you want to use it for that. The page linked above has a list of drives that are known to work or can be firmware fixed by the DVDFab Drive Tool to use with 4kUHD discs. I use two of the LG BE16NU50 usb drives with excellent results but they have become hard to find. If you want an external drive, search for this item number on ebay 223986091856 (not endorsed officially here). Avoid the slim-type drives, many are not mechanically robust and are often slower.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
      X