Hi all,

Need some recommendations:

I have the following:

AMD Ryzen 3600
    Aurous B550 Elite MB
    32GB Ram
    1 x M2 1TB drive and 3TB secondary
    GTX1050Ti Graphics.

All apart from the graphics are new. Am looking at what is best upgrade to help with conversion, was looking at RTX 3060 when they in stock (!)

Any other suggestions, asking now as all graphics cards are out, so have time to choose.

Mark

Nvidia rtx series. I have a 2080 in my laptop.
    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

My understanding is... if you are just using Nvidia NVENC, get a card that uses a Nvidia Turing encoded (GTX1650 super, GTX1660/1660ti/1660 super, or RTX20x0 or RTX30x0.. NOTE: The non-Super GTX1650 does NOT use the Turing Encoder chip!!), and performance should be about the same. Turing supports B-Frames and is "slightly better" video quality when encoding.

I had been using an EVGA GTX 1660ti XC Ultra Gaming 06G-P4-1267-KR that I purchased in May 2019 and have been very happy with the results with DVDFab ripping to MKV, or DRM Remover, or DRM Downloader, as well as other, non-DVDFab, tools. It uses the Turing Encoder chip like the RTX20x0 and up cards, but was cheaper because it doesn't support some of the more advanced gaming features like Raytracing and such, and I generally don't game.

My son is using my older GTX970 card in his PC, so I was looking for an upgrade. With the current graphics card situation I was hesitant to buy anything, especially given my understanding on not much speed difference encoding with higher cards. On Saturday I saw an EVGA RTX3060 as part of the "Newegg Shuffle" so I entered for the fun of it, and won! So I and purchased an EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC GAMING 12G-P5-3657-KR at what was retail price at the time (seems it went up $10 since then, was $389.99 but is now $399.99 on EVGA's site). While its an Ampere card, the RTX30x0 cards still use Turning encoder chips, so I'm not expecting any major speed differences. It just arrived today so I haven't done any tests or anything yet to see what, if any impact there is.
      Last edited by KidJoe; 05-06-2021, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by markh1970 View Post
        Hi all,

Need some recommendations:.......[from post #1 above]

Mark
        RTX 3080 - https://www.dvdfab.cn/resource/video/rtx-3080

Comment

KidJoe Please post some results when you get the RTX installed.
          Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
          Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by markh1970 View Post
            Hi all,

Need some recommendations:
            I have the following:
            AMD Ryzen 3600
            Aurous B550 Elite MB
            32GB Ram
            1 x M2 1TB drive and 3TB secondary
            GTX1050Ti Graphics.

All apart from the graphics are new. Am looking at what is best upgrade to help with conversion, was looking at RTX 3060 when they in stock (!)
            Any other suggestions, asking now as all graphics cards are out, so have time to choose.

Mark
            Yes, that 1650 does a great job for the money!
            I was FINALLY able to get my hands on an EVGA 3080 XOC ultra. (Not much difference in their 3080, non Ti cards.)

My experiment was the following done with both cards: The comp is an Intel 4790K, with 32GB of ram. I took Jurassic Park-1 Bluray from the Jurrasic 6-pack and copied the whole disk onto a Samsung SSD drive as an uncompressed movie folder.

Then I used Fab and copied just the main film ONLY to another SSD of the same type, but shrunk it to an MKV H265. I did these two copies separately.
            On the 1650 it took 13:38 @ 222FPS.
            On the 3080 it took 5:20 @ 568FPS. I hope this gives you an idea, and this 3080 EVGA card is a MONSTER!!
            Honestly, the 4790K is a JURRASIC computer! LOL I will be moving the 3080 to my 5930K with 128 Gig of Ram when I get that one working again. THEN later a new computer.

BTW, the way I got that card was a (COUGH!) year ago, I signed up for notifications from EVGA and forgot all about it. I got an email saying they were in stock and FOR ONCE they really were! I would suggest getting on their list. When they emailed me they had enough to last for that whole day.

Comment

While I haven't been ripping as many discs with DVDFab lately... I did a test with G.I. Joe The Rise of Cobra and the RTX3060...

I copied the disc to my 4TB WD Blue (5400rpm) drive using Passkey. Then opened up DVDFab Ripper, dropped the folder on, and selected MKV.H265 and kept the defaults (Fast Encoding 1-Pass, Video Quality = Standard, Copy audio unchecked, etc.), output went to my 4TB WD Black (7200rpm) drive. It took 6 min 50 Seconds and FPS was bouncing around in the range of 415-425.

Oddly, GPU Load never went above 31%

Comment

Working...
              X