X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie in trouble....

Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum, although I have been using DVDFab for a few months now.

My problem is this.

I initially downloaded a version of DVDFab from those creatures at Tarzan Media Enterprises. (First mistake!) I then had no way of realising that I was not in fact, downloading a LEGAL copy of this fine product.

After a period of about seven weeks, things started going wrong and the program which had been working well up to that point, started shutting me out.....telling me that certain parts were expring soon. Eventually, yesterday even the DVD to DVD application "expired".

I tried to contact these Tarzan people, but desite their official-looking web page and wonderfully flamboyant claims regarding support, updates and never-expiring registration, they are invisible and unable to be contacted. (Second mistake.) So, I lost my money. :-(

I then contacted DVDFab directly by email, and a nice lady told me that I should remove the non-genuine program and download a new one from their official site.

This I did, and although I removed the old copy of DVDFab through "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP, whenever I try to load the new 30-day trial version from the DVDFab people, I cannot access DVD Split, and after only one disc is copied, the welcoming page informs me that my DVD to DVD application has expired!

I have downloaded and installed (each in their turn) both the CSS 6.0.7.0 versions and the new 6.1.0.5. Beta versions, but I still cannot get the thing to operate correctly - as it was initially in the old non-genuine version.

Now, I have used DVDFab for long enough to realise that it fills my needs exactly, but if I were to purchase the program from the DVDFab people, would this also run (or NOT run) as it is now the problem with the trial version?

Sorry to ramble on a bit, but it is very much a case of not wanting to spend any more money that I cannot afford - especially as the program may not even work.

Any assistance that anyone can afford me will be very much appreciated.

Sorry to hear you were ripped off BUT when you installed their hacked copy it very well may have messed up your registry and possibly gave you some form of a virus, malware or who knows what. I can't speak for DVDFab inc. BUT my guess is they won't promise anything of that sort unless you do a complete re-install of your os. thats just my personal guess. I'm sure someone with authority will advise you better than I ever could.

Comment

What I would do in the first instance is this:-

Do a clean uninstall of the Pirate copy.

Then run a registry cleaner and virus checker over your system.

Download and install the latest beta version of Fab fro the links in this forum and then see if it works.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by GregiBoy; 10-09-2009, 03:09 AM.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

anubis
        Sorry to hear about your problem. I suspect that as W&B suggested, you may have some junk in the registry from all the installations. It may be that you can clean it up with one of the registry cleaners, but I think first I would try Revo uninstaller (free, google it), and let it uninstall the DVDFab that you have on there now and then use it to scan the registry to remove all traces. Also make sure you have deleted the key file from the scammer if you downloaded it as an attachment. Then try reinstalling DVDFab from a clean download from the links in the release notes thread.

DVDFab will work with the operating systems and minimum hardware requirements posted on the website. If you decide to purchase, you will receive support from company staff and other users here in the forum. You may have to seek professional assistance if your OS is corrupt or faulty due to reasons beyond the control of Fengtao Software. I do not work for them, this is not any sort of official policy, just common sense.
        Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
        Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Hey, thanks everyone,

I certainly will give the registry files a clean.

I will also purchase the real DVDFab, just as soon as I can.

Good onya all. :-]

Comment

Hi anubis and welcome,

Yeah, great advice from everyone and Revo is an excellent piece of software, as recommended by my good friend signals.
            This may be overkill, but you can't be certain as to how "clean" the download was.
            You might think about running:
            Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
            There is a freeware version available...just click on the link.

Good luck and let us know what happens
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hi mainman and others,

I have tried all that you suggested, including program and junk files removal with Revo Uninstaller. I have also used Malwarebyte's cleaner, and I sure shifted a lot of rubbish, but unfortunately, not whatever rubbish is still blocking my freshly-installed DVDFab Beta version 6.

Still no go.

It still tells me that the 'DVD to DVD application has expired' even before I can copy a disc.

It looks like I'll never become a DVDFab owner.

Oh well, back to the net, and see what else I can use.....

Many thaks for all the suggestions from you blokes.

You are a good bunch.

See ya.

Comment

Originally posted by anubis View Post
                Hi mainman and others,

I have tried all that you suggested, including program and junk files removal with Revo Uninstaller. I have also used Malwarebyte's cleaner, and I sure shifted a lot of rubbish, but unfortunately, not whatever rubbish is still blocking my freshly-installed DVDFab Beta version 6.

Still no go.

It still tells me that the 'DVD to DVD application has expired' even before I can copy a disc.

It looks like I'll never become a DVDFab owner.

Oh well, back to the net, and see what else I can use.....

Many thaks for all the suggestions from you blokes.

You are a good bunch.

See ya.
                anubis,
                I don't know how comfortable you are with this, but have you thought of going to regedit to physically remove any traces of the pirated copy from your registry.

Comment

Hi touchdown 1,

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I just used regedit to remove a couple of DVDFab 'key' files from the registry. (I wonder why Revo never picked them up?)

No change.

Comment

The only way I can now think of is a clean reinstall of your operating system. Sorry....
                    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I honestly doubt that any program will remove the info to give you another 30 day trial even from a hacked copy. Fab's author designed the program just for this purpose. only way I know of restoring you system would be a complete re-install of your os. again sorry you were ripped off by some hackers.

Comment

Hi anubis,
                        GregiBoy is probably right about the reinstall, but before you do that, try a couple of these freeware, and if they don't work, well you can always do a reinstall of your OS.
                        1) ccleaner and use the registry tab
                        2) Glary registry repair

Comment

OK,

What a bummer!

Thanks all.

Comment

I think it's worth a shot to try another cleaner, although my good friend GregiBoy is probably right. This process may never find the offending file(s).

As touchdown 1 said, CCleaner is a good bet.
                            I've also had luck with Regseeker.

What one app misses another just might pick up.
                            Like I said, worth a shot

//Edit,

With CCleaner, also use the Prefetch tab

Hmmm...just took a look and the newer versions may not have the Prefetch Data isolated with its own tab.
                            Sorry about that
                            Last edited by maineman; 10-10-2009, 02:07 AM.
                            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Hello all,

My problem has ben solved!

I purchased another copying program, and it runs like a charm. :-)

As I said earlier, you are a good bunch.

Many thanks for all your assistance.

Comment

Working...
                              X