This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta versions?

Again please excuse me if this is in the wrong place, or already elsewhere but I couldn't see it, and I am new to the forum.

I download every official (full) version as soon as I see it is available, but not (up to now) any of the many beta versions.

I always took it that the beta versions are mainly for testing purposes, possibly by only selected people.

Is this true, or do you recommend all users download and use every beta version?

Thank you..........

The betas are released for everyone to use .

I read the change log and if there is nothing that applies to what I use the software for then I do not download it.

If the changes indicate some improvement in the DVD to DVD or a fix for new protection then I use it.

Edit to add this thread might have been better in the General Questions than here.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I agree and will give it a new home.
      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

I posted it there as I am only interested in that form of dvdfab.

Still didn't get an answer, do the moderators/administrators recommend everyone downloading all the beta versions, or not?

Comment

I always download and install the latest beta when it becomes available but I always keep the downloaded installs of ALL versions so that I can rollback if need be.

The beta versions are usually released to defeat some new form of copy protection or to add/fix a feature and the production releases are only released occasionally.
          Last edited by GregiBoy; 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Just when I thought there was nobody else here, they are all asleep, but you are only just down the road.

I was going to now do exactly that, but the topic a couple down has put me off that.

I think I will just download all the official full versions.

Comment

I've never had a problem in over 5 years with installing the betas.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You in Brissy????

Comment

Yep..............

As I said I was going to try the betas, but that post down a couple made me wary, where he has done what I was going to do, then decided to go back to the 6-0-7-0 but has a problem.

Also are the betas cumulative?

I mean IF I was to instal them now over my 6-0-7-0, do I have to instal ALL the betas since 6-0-7-0 OR only the most recent one?

Thanks..............

Comment

Only the latest, cobber.
                    Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                    Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Originally posted by davidh View Post
                      Yep..............

As I said I was going to try the betas, but that post down a couple made me wary, where he has done what I was going to do, then decided to go back to the 6-0-7-0 but has a problem.

Also are the betas cumulative?

I mean IF I was to instal them now over my 6-0-7-0, do I have to instal ALL the betas since 6-0-7-0 OR only the most recent one?

Thanks..............
                      As my good friend GregiBoy said,
                      "I've never had a problem in over 5 years with installing the betas".

Ditto for me. Nothing I would consider a real problem

Over the years, there have been occasional problems with specific versions, usually minor, but not always.
                      On rare occasions, I have reverted to previous versions.
                      Of note here, this can happen with a final release too, despite all the testing done in China.

In truth, the beta versions are not much different than the final releases insofar as stability.
                      Usually just a bit of "tweaking".
                      This as compared with let's say MS...
                      I think win 98 is finally out of beta...

Most of us old timers (and others I'm sure) archive all the previous versions.
                      Simply save the installer prior to "run".
                      These days, storage space is dirt cheap and the room Fab takes up is nominal.
                      I've got 4 x 1 TB hdds in this baby...

Every version is standalone.
                      The only way you'd miss something is if you opted out of part of the normal install.
                      Last edited by maineman; 10-21-2009, 02:09 AM.
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
                        Only the latest, cobber.
                        Thanks Mate......

I will think about it over a XXXX or two.

Comment

As my good friend GregiBoy said,
                          "I've never had a problem in over 5 years with installing the betas".

Ditto for me. Nothing I would consider a real problem
                          I was planning to instal it today, but as I said another poster says he has done that, wasn't happy, then when he went back to 6-0-7-0 he has troubles.

Let sleeping dogs lie comes to mind.

Comment

@maineman

Most of us old timers (and others I'm sure) archive all the previous versions.
                            Simply save the installer prior to "run".
                            These days, storage space is dirt cheap and the room Fab takes up is nominal.
                            I've got 4 x 1 TB hdds in this baby...
                            Are you talking about us again

I have 4 setup like yours

Removal of new protections may not be available yet in the free version of DVDFab (HD Decrypter)

Help Us Help You :

Troy's excellent tutorial on Setting up ImgBurn with DVDFab :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media mainly.
                            Trying Falcon D/L media

I use ImgBurn as my main burning engine

Free Media Player VLC

Comment

Originally posted by bean55 View Post
                              @maineman

Are you talking about us again
                              You know it...from one old fart to another...

Originally posted by bean55 View Post

I have 4 setup like yours

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you...

Hey, I finally got enough time to tinker that new build together.
                              You're right about the EVGA card. The thing's a monster, but oh so nice!

I also threw in a COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler and laughed like hell when I saw it.
                              I didn't really believe that this thing was gonna fit.
                              Talk about a beastie. It's a V8 alright!
                              Works great though, it was worth the hassle to get it installed
                              Last edited by maineman; 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM.
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X