updating dvdfab - newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

updating dvdfab - newbie

got a question.. got dvdfab lifetime. want to update to version 8.x.x.x. I have version 7.x x x. The instructions say to copy over my dvdfab directory, but when i download the file and it goes to ask for a directory to install, it wants to install in "dvdfab 8" folder. Since I have version 7, I only have a "dvdfab 7" folder. should I just change the path to the dvd 7 folder and let dvdfab 8 install there? will the folder still be labeled dvdfab 7 when done? kind of confused here. i tried to search, but couldn't find my answer. thanks anyone....

Just install using the defaults and you will have both versions installed.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

So, if DVD fab gets up to say, version 11 in the not too distant future, I would have versions 7 through 11 installed? Can I just erase my old "DVDfab 7" directory after installing (upgrading) to a higher version (8 in this case)? I don't want old software cluttering up my hard drive.

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer999 View Post
        So, if DVD fab gets up to say, version 11 in the not too distant future, I would have versions 7 through 11 installed? Can I just erase my old "DVDfab 7" directory after installing (upgrading) to a higher version (8 in this case)? I don't want old software cluttering up my hard drive.

thanks again.
        Go ahead and remove the old software as that what I do but once in a while I do keep an old version installed for testing with

Comment

To be honest, I always keep each version installed for testing or fallback purposes.

I have Vesion 3, 4, 5, 6,7 & 8 installed and it takes up very little room.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by TomSawyer999 View Post

thanks again.
            Yes you can erase them, however I do as GregiBoy said, leave the old versions installed as they take up little room.

I usually delete the installers except for the last few as this saves a fair bit of space.

Comment

OK. now i got it. thanks all. i'll leave the old stuff on there. never seen this kind of thing before, but oh well, it is great software. not really a hitch yet. gonna "back up" some new releases friday.

thanks again. i'm learning!

Comment

Best version ?

This answers my question too, but want to know best version to upgrade to.

I originally bought DVDFab express, upgraded to FabGold and now have DVDFab6.0.4.0

Can someone recommend the best most stable version to upgade to. I don't do anything too fancy, just use it to back up bog standard DVD's

thanks all

PS it's a great product and support is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by brearlk View Post
                  I originally bought DVDFab express, upgraded to FabGold and now have DVDFab6.0.4.0

Can someone recommend the best most stable version to upgade to. I don't do anything too fancy, just use it to back up bog standard DVD's

thanks all

PS it's a great product and support is good too.
                  It's best to keep the product utd with the most recent versions.
                  This will enable you to decrypt many of the more recent releases that you would otherwise, not be able to copy.

I'm using v.8009 Beta and having no problems...as usual.
                  As you know, there's absolutely no reason that you can't keep Fab 6.xxx installed and functional as well.

Your Fab 6 regkey should work just fine, but I'd recommend retrieving a new, all-in-one regkey if you haven't done so previously
                  Keep your old key and your new key in a safe location and also keep a bkup of each.
                  You never know...
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks Maineman,
                    I have updated to v8xxx as you suggested and all looks great.
                    I don't know if I have an all-in-one regkey, can you advise how I can check please. Also what will this give me

many thanks in anticipation

Ken

Comment

The key retrieval systems has changed a little with the new website. Keys can be downloaded directly now without email. If your present key is working for all the options you purchased, you don't need to do anything. If you ever need to get a new key, click on the "Members" link in the site navigation banner at dvdfab.com. On your first trip there, click the "Register" bar on the page that opens and provide the requested information. In the future you can just log in to check/renew your licenses or download a key. If you have a checkmark in each box and click "Download" you will get an all-in-one key.
                      Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                      Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Thats all good about going to the members link. I have tried for three days. I can't get logged on I have tired using every password that I have ever used and nothing. I had this problem before when changing from one Isp to another. but I have tired both and nothing. Help me get dvdfab back up and runnning.

Comment

Originally posted by jimrs View Post
                          Thats all good about going to the members link. I have tried for three days. I can't get logged on I have tired using every password that I have ever used and nothing. I had this problem before when changing from one Isp to another. but I have tired both and nothing. Help me get dvdfab back up and runnning.
                          reset your password using this link http://www.dvdfab.com/member.htm?a=reset_pw&t=per but you still need access to email used to register with

Comment

This would be great but it will not accept any e-mail address that I have had for the last 11 years. This includes both ISP's email addresses. I don't know how to get a hold of them and get it downloaded right. I have paid twice already for the program because of this happening before.

Comment

Do you have any documentation of these purchases that might help them find you in the database? (Don't post anything here in the forum).
                              Supplying DVDFab Logs in the Forum ...........................User Manual PDF for DVDFab v11................................ Guide: Using Images in Posts
                              Supplying DMS Logs to Developers................................Enlarger AI FAQ.....

Comment

Working...
                              X